#288 Hooked on PHA is another total body metabolic strength workout from Cathe Live using the PHA method. Before I go any further, here is the PHA definition I add to all PHA workouts I review. PHA stands for Peripheral Heart Action. What this means in training terms is you alternate between upper and lower body resistance exercises, allowing as little rest as possible between each movement. The lack of rest and recovery keeps your heart rate up for cardiovascular and fat burning benefits, while switching between upper and lower body exercises maximizes blood flow to all parts of the body and reduces build up of lactic acid. What this generally translates to, when done properly, is a total body metabolic strength workout with a high calorie burn.
This is another excellent PHA workout. I really enjoyed it and got an excellent workout. This isn’t one of Cathe‘s newest live workouts so she had a class behind her and was also using lighter dumbbells. Because of this, I was able to match the weight Cathe used for most of the exercises and could have lifted heavier for the lower body exercises. But I still got a great workout. I have been doing Cathe’s pandemic live workouts where it is just her, so when I started this one, I won’t lie, I was very disappointed to see she had a class behind her. I may be alone here, but I adore Cathe’s newest live workouts that are just her–no class. Love them.
Hooked on PHA is 52:30 minutes; 3:45 minute warm up and 3:20 minute stretch. Equipment: step topper (4 inches), various dumbbells, resistance tube with handles, gliding device and fitness mat. I used the same weight as Cathe unless otherwise indicated below.
- Stationary lunges, 16 reps each leg (15# DBs)
- Arnold presses, step out to side with each press (Cathe is using 12# DBs; I used 10# DBs)
- Stand on end of step topper, reverse lunge, passing DB under front leg as you lunge, 16 reps each leg (one 10# DB)
- Bicep curls (stand on resistance tube with a handle and a 5# DB in each hand)
- Side slide pick up lunges (side slide lunge, at bottom of lunge place DB on floor, when you slide out again, pick DB up) (one 12# DB)
- One arm snatch, 12 reps each arm (wide pile squat, lowering DB toward floor when squatting, then pull DB up body as if doing an upright row then push overhead into a single arm overhead press) (one 12# DB)
- Squat cross overs, 12 reps each leg (stand with one foot on topper and one on floor, squat then cross floor foot over step to floor on other side of step and do a curtsy lunge, alternate these two moves (one 15# DB)
- Front swing into a lat pull down (legs wide in plie, squat and swing DBs down between legs, stand raising DBs overhead and, at top of swing, open arms into a goal post (Cathe is using 8# DBs; I used 10# DBs)
- Repeat #1-8
- Hop switch side lunges (holding one DB in one hand hanging down in front of you, one leg is bent other leg is extended out to side and straight (side lunge position), rather than lowering into a side lunge, hop to switch feet and alternate sides, when you hop, pass the DB from hand to hand) (one 10# DB)
- Double arm overhead tricep extensions (French press) (Cathe is using 12# DBs; I used 10# DBs)
- Front to back lunges (front lunge is on step topper, back lunge is on the floor) (10# DBs)
- Renegade row with non-working hand on step topper (every 4 reps you change from narrow row to wide row) (one 15# DB)
- Sweeper lunges, 64 reps (sliding device under working leg, set one DB on end on floor and place same side hand as working leg on other end of DB for balance, slide leg in and out)
- Drop set push ups, 10 reps, rest, 9 reps, rest, 8 reps
- Repeat #1
- Lying pullovers (lying on step topper), full and partial reps (Cathe is using 15# DBs; I used 12# DBs)
- Repeat #3-6
2 thoughts on “Cathe Live: Hooked on PHA”
You aren’t alone in loving the Cathe Live workouts with just her. I love having Cathe instructing without all of the distractions of the class behind her.
LikeLiked by 1 person
I know. I love that the camera is always on Cathe. Always. I’ve never been a big fan of watching other people in class do the exercise. I always want to see Cathe’s perfect form to motivate me.