Killer Kettlebell HIIT Workout // Total Body Sculpt is a very enjoyable metabolic total body workout from Heather Robertson. This is not Heather’s most intense kettlebell workout but it did elevated my heart rate and worked every muscle in my body. I would consider this more of a conditioning workout rather than strength training, at least for my purposes. That has to do with Heather’s use of compound moves in which she combines 2 or more strength exercises into a single exercise. Those types of exercises are great for elevating your heart rate and also working more muscles in a short amount of time, but they also short change your larger muscle groups. For example, the first exercise is a squat and press. I can lift a much heavier kettlebell for an overhead press than I can for a standing chest press, yet I was limited to a 12 pound kettlebell. Same with deadlift & curl, row & press, curtsy & raise, swing & lunge, etc. All great exercises that work multiple muscle groups but at least one muscle group is getting much less work than the others because I was limited to using lighter kettlebells. And that’s okay, btw. I really enjoyed this workout, but its just something to keep in mind when scheduling workouts. And everyone’s fitness level is different–this may be all you need for strength training. Personally, I would use this as a cardio conditioning workout.
Killer Kettlebell HIIT Workout // Total Body Sculpt is 44:27 minutes; 3:30 minute warm up and 3:30 minute stretch. Equipment: kettlebell(s) and a fitness mat. Heather is using a 15 pound kettlebell. The kettlebell weights below are what I used. This workout is made up of 3 circuits made up of 6 exercises. Each circuit is done twice. The exercises are done interval style: 40 seconds of work followed by 20 seconds of rest. There is a timer in the lower right hand corner of the screen counting down your intervals and recoveries. Heather previews the next exercise during the recovery.
- Squat & press combo (hold KB by horn in front of chest, squat and push KB straight in front of you, stand and press KB overhead) (12# KB)
- Lunge and row (stationary/static lunges, at bottom of lunge do one single arm row) (25# KB)
- Repeat #2 on other side of body
- Plank and reach (in elbow plank with KB on mat in front of you, alternate tapping hands to top of KB)
- Curtsy and raise (alternating curtsy/cross-back lunges, holding KB in both hands by horn, while in lunge do a straight arm front raise and continue raising DB overhead, keeping arms straight the entire time, lower straight arms/KB when changing sides) (12# KB)
- High knees (hold KB in both hands by horns, high knee run in place) (12# KB)
- Repeat #1-6
30 second rest
- Swing & lunge (do one single arm KB swing, rack KB at shoulder and do one reverse lunge) (15# KB)
- Repeat #1 on other side of body
- Deadlift & curl (hold KB on both hands by horn, do one deadlift and at top of deadlift do one double arm bicep curl) (20# KB)
- Seated twist (hold KB in both hands by horn and do Russian Twists) (10# KB)
- Goblet squat (hold KB in both hands by bell) (25# KB)
- Toe taps (KB is on floor in front of you, with both hands behind head, do alternating hop taps, tapping toes to KB)
- Repeat #1-6
30 second rest
- Row & press (do one bent over single arm row, rack KB at shoulder and do single arm overhead press) (15# KB)
- Repeat #1 on other arm
- Cossack lunge (holding KB by bell in both hands, do a side lunge but the straight leg is rotated so heel is on floor and toe is raised to ceiling) (20# KB)
- Repeat #3 on other side of body
- Plank pass through (in straight arm plank with KB on floor outside of one hand, reach under body with other hand, grab KB horn and bring it across to the other side, alternate sides) (15# KB)
- Squat & hop (hold KB by horn with both hands, squat, place KB on floor and jump, squat again, grab KB horns and stand) (25# KB)
- Repeat #1-6
For more info on Heather Robertson’s workouts and other (free) streaming workouts I’ve sampled and reviewed, check out my Streaming page.
3 thoughts on “Killer Kettlebell HIIT Workout // Total Body Sculpt”
I did this workout today for my first kettlebell workout. My kettlebell is bigger in diameter than what Heather is using so i found it kind of tricky moving through some of the compound exercises. I’m sure it just takes some getting used to.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Were you able to quickly change the weight during the rest periods?