Glute Workout with Dumbbells – Glutes Isolation is Day 3 in Caroline Girvan‘s Circuit Series. These circuit workouts Caroline has created appear to be endurance workouts. At least, I am surmising this from the two I have done so far. Yesterday I did the Day 2 Upper Body Circuit Workout and that was definitely an endurance workout. Caroline’s glute workouts are frequently endurance workouts anyway but the first circuit in this workout–OMG. 15 minutes of basically non-stop weighted glute thrusts. I had to go to my happy place to get through. The 10 second recoveries felt like nothing (to me) and the only real “break” you get is one hip thrust version that does not use the dumbbell–but then during the 10 second “recovery” after that exercise you are rushing to get your heavy dumbbell back in place on your hips. The remainder of the workout is tough, too, but nothing like the first 15 minutes. I definitely felt this workout in my glutes–and many other lower body muscles, especially during that first circuit. This is not my favorite of Caroline’s glute workouts. It is definitely an effective workout but not as enjoyable as most of her others that I have done.
This workout contains 3 circuits and each circuit contains 5 exercises. You will do Circuits 1 and 3 three times; Circuit 2 is done twice. Each exercise is done for 50 seconds of work followed by 10 seconds of rest. You get no other rest/recovery during the workout until right before the finisher. There is a timer in the upper left hand side of the screen counting down your intervals and recoveries. During the recoveries Caroline previews the next exercise. There is also a little bar at the bottom of the screen that counts down the entire workout time as a percentage. As noted above, Circuits 1 & 3 are done 3 times. The second time you repeat the circuit Caroline mixes the exercises up a little, but you still do the same 5 exercises. I did not note below in the breakdown how the order of exercises changes the second time through. The order of exercises in Circuit 2 remains the same both times it is done.
Glute Workout with Dumbbells – Glutes Isolation is 49:42 minutes; 2 minute intro, no warm up and 3 minute stretch. Equipment: one heavy dumbbell, booty band/resistance loop, yoga block, a chair or bench and a fitness mat. Optional is towel to protect your hips from the dumbbell. Caroline is using one 25kg/55 pound dumbbell. I used one 40 pound dumbbell. I used my workout bench for the hip thrusts and the topper for my square high step (4 inches) for elevated hip thrusts and lunges. You only use the dumbbell in Circuit 1.
Circuit 1: (40# DB)
- Banded hip thrusts (no DB) (place booty band around thighs, lean back against your bench or step, knees bent and open so there is tension on band, and feet on floor, raise and lower hips)
- Repeat #1 but with DB on hips
- Thrust pulses (DB is still on hips, keep hips raised isometrically at top of thrust and pulse hips upward)
- Repeat #3 but no pulses, just hold isometrically at top of pulse
- 1.5 rep thrust (raise hips to top of thrust, lower halfway, raise to top of thrust, lower all the way)
- Repeat #1-5 two more times
Circuit 2: (remove booty band and set DB aside)
- Single leg elevated hip thrust (lean back against your bench or step, one foot is on yoga block and other foot is raised, raise and lower hips)
- Repeat #1 but do 1.5 reps (raise hips to top of thrust, lower halfway, raise to top of thrust, lower all the way)
- Thrust holds (repeat #1 but hold isometrically at top of thrust until you hear a beep then lower hips and immediately raise them to repeat)
- Forward lean step elevated (reverse lunges, front foot is on yoga block, torso is hinged forward over front thigh)
- Static forward lean lunge (stationary lunges, front foot is on yoga block, torso is hinged forward over front leg)
- Repeat #1-5 on other side of body
Circuit 3: (place band around thighs above knees)
- Lateral walk (lower into partial squat and side walk 5 steps and back)
- Lateral abduction one side (step one foot in and out to side)
- Repeat #2 on other leg
- Step back (step one foot out behind you then back in)
- Repeat #4 on other leg
- Repeat #1-5 two more times
60 second rest (timer says 70 but when 10 seconds are left on the timer you start the first finisher exercise)
Finisher: (each exercise is done for 30 seconds, no rests)
- Mat abduction (lay on mat, booty band around thighs just above knees, legs are bent with feet on mat, open and close knees)
- Abduction pulses (same position as #1, keep legs open wide and pulse out against band)
- Hip thrust (same starting position as #1, raise and lower hips, knees are open so there is tension on band)
- Repeat #2
- Repeat #1
For more info on Caroline Girvan’s workouts and other (free) streaming workouts I’ve sampled and reviewed, check out my Streaming page.
3 thoughts on “GLUTE WORKOUT with Dumbbells – Glutes Isolation | Circuit Series Day 3”
Yeah, my butt hurt after this one. Definitely effective but kind of grindy.
I think you will like the Beastmode workouts once you get to them. I did shoulders and arms today and really enjoyed it. (Ditto with the full body version yesterday.) I tacked on a back fat blaster and abs workouts from Heather so it was a long session today.
I’m trying to figure out when I’m going to do your Caroline rotation. Did you say you were going to publish the Heather/Caroline combo after your trip or are you doing it before?
I have been previewing her Beastmode workouts and they look really good. I have noticed that many people are interested in them just from my blog data–lots and lots of searches for Beastmode but all they are getting on my blog is the one Beastmode workout I did from EPIC Heat.
And yes, I plan to post the Heather/Caroline rotation Aug 2. That is the last day I will be posting regularly for a while (we fly out late Monday afternoon). Starting this afternoon I have a bunch of Heather workouts I am trying to work through and I will be doing the last one Monday morning. They are all workouts that could potentially be part of the rotation but I won’t know until I try them.
Just an update. Looks like I will be posting the rotation this weekend. I moved the Monday workout to Saturday.