Revolve Dumbbell Full Body Circuits is Day 4 in Caroline Girvan‘s EPIC Endgame program. Another excellent total body strength workout from Caroline! This workout is done PHA style, which makes it very metabolic. I was introduced to PHA through Cathe Friedrich’s Live workouts. She describes PHA as “alternating between upper and lower body resistance exercises, allowing as little rest as possible between each movement. The lack of rest and recovery keeps your heart rate up for cardiovascular and fat burning benefits, while switching between upper and lower body exercises maximizes blood flow to all parts of the body and reduces build up of lactic acid.” I definitely felt like I was getting some cardio in the course of this workout. Though oddly my FitBit did not reflect that. All I know, is I felt like I was working hard! Though Caroline is giving you 20 second recoveries between exercises, it is not a lot after a solid minute of work. Plus, for me, I use some of that recovery time to get my weights and get in place for the next exercise.
This workout has one circuit of 9 exercises that is done 3 times. All of the exercises in this workout are done interval style: 60 seconds of work followed by 20 seconds of rest. There is a timer in the upper left hand side of the screen counting down your intervals and recoveries. During the recovery Caroline previews the next exercise. There is also a little bar at the bottom of the screen that counts down the entire workout time as a percentage.
Revolve Dumbbell Full Body Circuits is 47:41 minutes; 3:10 minute intro, no warm up and 3:25 minute stretch. Equipment: dumbbells, a chair or high step and fitness mat. Caroline is using 15kg/33 pounds and 9kg/19.8 dumbbells. The weights listed below are what I used.
- Renegade row (alternate arms) (25# DBs)
- Static/stationary lunge (18# DBs)
- Repeat #2 on other side of body
- Arnold press (16.5# DBs)
- Alternating lateral lunge (alternating stationary side lunges holding one DB on both hands at chest level) (one 30# DB)
- Diamond press (narrow/tricep press with DBs pressed together over chest) (15# DBs)
- Bulgarian lunge (back leg is elevated on chair behind you, one DB is held on same side shoulder as front leg) (one 20# DB)
- Repeat #7 on other leg
- Push press (overhead press with arms in goal post, use legs to assist in pushing DBs overhead) (16.5# DBs)
- Repeat #1-9 two more times
- Body weight sumo squats, full range, 50 reps
- Body weight sumo squats, 1/2 reps, 50 reps (lower to bottom of squat but only raise halfway)