Upper Body Strength Workout with Dumbbells is an excellent strength workout from Naomi Joy that works the entire upper body. She doesn’t miss a muscle group and does it all in just under 26 minutes. Naomi included a couple of really tough exercises in this workout–one was new to me. That one is the bicep circles (#11)–the burn! I started to grab my 15 pound dumbbells then changed my mind and grabbed 10s. Holy crap! My biceps were burning out with the 10s so the second time through I had to go even lighter! The other really tough exercise was the alternating lateral raise (#7). You do not do them as you would expect. Throughout the entire interval you hold your arms isometrically in a T and you alternate lowering the dumbbells. Again–the burn! I had to use lighter weights the second time that exercise was performed. This was a short but excellent and thorough upper body strength workout!
All of the exercises are done interval style: 45 seconds of work followed by 15 seconds of recovery. There is a timer in the lower left hand corner of the screen counting down your intervals and recoveries. There is another timer in the lower right hand corner of the screen counting down the entire workout time minus the stretch. During the recoveries Naomi previews the next exercise. This workout is set to music with Naomi doing voice overs to point out proper form. Naomi also shows modifications for some of the exercises.
Upper Body Strength Workout with Dumbbells is 25:50 minutes; 30 second intro, 2 minute warm up and 3 minute stretch. Equipment: dumbbells and a fitness mat. Naomi is using 20 and 10 pound dumbbells. The weights listed below are what I used.
- Chest press (22.5# DBs)
- Plank row x2 (renegade rows, do 2 rows on one arm before changing arms) (25# DBs)
- Repeat #1 & 2
- Bent over rear delt fly, alternate arms (10# DBs)
- Slow upward press (shoulder press, palms face each other) (18# DBs)
- Repeat # 4 & 5
- Alternating lateral raise (raise arms to sides in a T and hold them there isometrically, alternate lowering then raising one arm) (8# DBs first set, 6# DBs second set)
- Frontal raise (double straight arm front raise) (8# DBs)
- Repeat #7 & 8
- Tricep press (overhead tricep extension/French press) (one 25# DB)
- Bicep circle (extend DBs in front of you, palms facing ceiling and draw circles with DBs) (10# DBs first set, 8# DBs second set)
- Repeat #10 & 11
- Slow push ups
- Upper back extension (lay on stomach on mat, arms extended to sides in a T, thumb facing ceiling, raise chest/arms/legs then lower)
- Repeat #13 & 14