Upper Body Chest and Triceps Workout is Day 12 in Caroline Girvan‘s Iron Series. Wow! Another upper body frier! You are laying on your back the first 73% of the workout but that doesn’t mean you aren’t working hard. I really challenged myself this morning with heavier weights (for me) for almost every exercise. I had a back up weight standing by for almost every single exercise and I am very pleased that I never once used them. I know my triceps will be sore tomorrow and maybe my chest, too, but my triceps still feel very pumped. I am really loving Caroline’s Iron Series workouts! I am definitely repeating this series in some fashion. I used Heather Robertson‘s Standing Abs Workout with Weights as a finisher. Not that I needed a finisher! The push up finisher at the end of this workout was killer. It was burning Caroline out, too!
All of the exercises in this workout are done interval style: 60 seconds of work followed by 30 seconds of rest. There is a timer in the upper left hand side of the screen counting down your intervals and recoveries. During the recovery Caroline previews the next exercise. There is also a little bar at the bottom of the screen that counts down the entire workout time as a percentage.
***09/16/22 Update: I returned to this workout as part of the Caroline Girvan rotation I created. After returning to any workout done in the rotation, I return to the reviews and update the weights I used. I did that in this review too, however, since I did mention my weights and not using my back ups above, and I did use my back ups this morning, I am posting this explanation. Also, rather than just changing the weights like I normally do in most of the other reviews, I am leaving the original weight I used and adding what I used this morning.***
Upper Body Chest and Triceps Workout is 35:30 minutes; 2:35 minute intro, no warm up and 1:30 minute stretch. Equipment: dumbbells, a chair and fitness mat. Optional: push up bar/handles. Caroline is using 17.5kg/38.6 pound and 10kg/22 pound dumbbells. The weights listed below are what I used.
- Chest press (25# DBs; 09/16/22 27.5# DBs first 2 sets, 25# DBs 3rd set)
- Repeat #1 two more times
- Diamond press (still laying on back, holding a DB in each hand, press DBs together and push them to ceiling) (18# DBs; 09/16/22 10# DBs first 2 sets, 18# DBs 3rd set))
- Repeat #3 two more times
- Chest flys (18# DBs)
- Repeat #5 two more times
- Tricep press (still laying on back, holding a DB in each hand, press DBs to ceiling keeping arms close to sides) (18# DBs)
- Repeat #7 two more times
- Skull crushers x1 dumbbell (still laying on back, hold one DB in both hands, raise arms/DB to ceiling, bend elbows lowering DB toward forehead then return push back to start, arm from shoulder to elbow remains stationary/straight throughout) (one 20# DB; 09/16/22 one 25# DB first set, one 22.5# DB last 2 sets)
- Repeat #9 two more times
- Tricep dips (hands on chair behind you, legs extended straight) (Caroline also shows the alternative of doing cobra push ups)
- Repeat #11 two more times
- Wide push ups for 45 seconds (Caroline is using push up bar/handles)
- 15 second rest
- Standard push up for 45 seconds (Caroline is using push up bar/handles)
- 15 second rest
- Tricep push up for 45 seconds
For more info on Caroline Girvan’s workouts and other (free) streaming workouts I’ve sampled and reviewed, check out my Streaming page.
One thought on “IRON Series 30 Min Upper Body Chest and Triceps Workout | 12”