Standing Abs Workout // With Weights is a fun little finisher workout from Heather Robertson. Add this on to the end of any other workout to give yourself some core and upper body work. I used it this morning as a finisher after an upper body strength workout and this was an effective and fun way to end my workout. It’s not super hard or challenging but if use heavier dumbbells it will make more challenging. Just make sure you can control the dumbbell! The exercises are all done interval style: 40 seconds of work followed by 10 seconds of recovery. There is a timer in the lower right hand corner of the screen counting down your intervals and recoveries. During the recoveries Heather previews the next exercise.
Standing Abs Workout // With Weights is 8:29 minutes; no warm up or stretch. Equipment: dumbbells. Heather is using 10 pound dumbbells. The weights listed below are what I used.
- Knee driver (hold one DB in both hands, do alternating knee raises bringing DB to knee when it raises) (one 10# DB)
- Side bed & reach (hold one DB in one hand, other hand is behind head, side bend on DB side, reaching DB to floor then side bend to other side, reaching DB overhead toward other side of body) (one 8# DB)
- Repeat #2 on other side of body
- Core twister (hold one DB in both hands at waist level, twist torso/DB side to side, keeping hips facing forward) (one 10# DB)
- Oblique bend (stand with legs wide, one DB held in one hand, other arm is extended overhead, reaching for ceiling, do a side bend toward DB side of body) (one 20# DB)
- Repeat #5 on other side of body
- Frog march (hold one DB in both hands at chest level, raise one knee out to side of body crunching upper body toward knee, repeat on other leg, raise one knee in front of you crunching upper body toward knee, repeat on other side of body) (one 10# DB)
- Figure 8 (hold one DB in both hands, draw a number 8 with the DB) (one 8# DB)
- High knees (high knee run)