30 Min METCON // Total Body Metabolic Conditioning is a total body metabolic strength workout from Heather Robertson. As usual with many of her workouts (and especially her METCON workout), the strength exercises are all combination moves that work multiple muscle groups in a single exercise. Though this really spikes the heart rate (along with the longer intervals/shorter recoveries), it also makes it difficult to lift heavier dumbbells. This means some muscle groups get more/better work than other muscle groups. For instance, the deadlift & row combo (Circuit 2, #1). I can lift much heavier for both a deadlift and a bent over row but I was limited by what I can lift for an upright row. Still, it is a great workout.
This workout is made up of 2 circuits and each circuit contains 5 exercises. Each circuit is done 3 times. The exercises are all done interval style: 45 seconds of work followed by 15 seconds of recovery. There is a timer in the lower right hand corner of the screen counting down the intervals and recoveries. During the recovery Heather previews the next exercise.
My schedule today was all messed up and I ended up exercising later in the day after I had eaten breakfast. I normally exercise first thing in the morning, around 5:30 am on an empty stomach. I also didn’t sleep much last night so I was/am tired. I don’t know if that had anything to do with it, but according to my FitBit, I burned more calories than I normally do during one of Heather’s 30 minute workouts (273 calories).
30 Min METCON // Total Body Metabolic Conditioning is 36:18 minutes; 2:30 minute warm up and 2:30 minute stretch. Equipment: dumbbells and a fitness mat. Heather is using 10 pound dumbbells. The weights listed below are what I used.
- Cross & press (stand w/ legs wider than shoulder width holding one DB in each hand, hinge forward, reaching one DB toward opposite foot, when you stand do a single arm overhead press, alternate sides) (15# DBs)
- Lunge & lift (stationary/static lunges, at bottom of lunge, do a single straight arm front raise) (9# DBs)
- Repeat #2 on other side of body
- Push up climber (do one push up, hold plank and bring one knee to same side elbow on outside of body, repeat on other leg)
- Shuffle jacks (in partial squat, lateral shuffle the length of your mat then do one jumping jack)
- Repeat #1-5 two more times
30 second rest
- Deadlift & row combo (alternate one deadrow with one upright row) (15# DBs)
- Tick tock lunge & curl (one reverse lunge + one front lunge on same leg, alternate legs with this combo, every time you lunge do a double arm bicep curl) (13# DBs)
- Pull over & kick out (lay on back, upper body does pull overs, legs extend straight in line with hips (elevated off mat) when arms are overhead, pull knees into chest and bring DB to tap shins) (one 20# DB)
- Crab dance (in crab, raise one leg to ceiling while reaching for toe with opposite hand, alternate sides)
- Jump squat & jack (alternate one jump squat with one jumping jack)
- Repeat #1-5 two more times
For more info on Heather Robertson’s workouts and other (free) streaming workouts I’ve sampled and reviewed, check out my Streaming page.
2 thoughts on “30MIN METCON // Total Body Metabolic Conditioning”
Happy fridayyyyyy!! 😁😁😁
Sounds like you had a bit of a bonus workout if you burned more calories than usual … yay for that!
Today I did an hour long Kickbox/strength workout from Sydney. Holy cow, it was VERY metabolic. I was trenched at the end! But it was a lot of fun and that’s what really counts. ☺️
I’m sitting on our deck and boy, do I smell a strong whiff of pot!! 🌳🤪
LikeLiked by 1 person