20 Min Dumbbell Full Body Workout – Compound Movements | No Repeat is another short but thorough total body strength workout from Caroline Girvan. I paired it with one of her other short total body strength workouts with a very similar title and found this one is even better than that one! They are both excellent workouts, and together gave me an challenging and very thorough total body workout. Caroline hits everything in this workout using compound movements. There are no isolation exercises for smaller muscle groups but everything is worked along with the larger muscle groups.
This workout is done interval style. Most of the exercises are done for 40 seconds of work followed by 20 seconds of rest. There is a timer in the upper right hand side of the screen counting down your intervals and recoveries. During the recovery Caroline previews the next exercise. There is also a little bar at the bottom of the screen that counts down the entire workout time as a percentage.
During the intro Caroline addressed the fact she has been MIA for 2 months–no uploads and no explanation of what happened to her. Personally, I was just hoping she was okay. Well, it appears she is fine! She alluded to the fact she is working on something big (for us? not sure) and that soon she would be uploading workouts regularly again (but not yet?). For now, she is giving us this little workout. This workout was uploaded the beginning of October, so who know when she will be back posting regularly. But she does have a huge library of workouts, many that I still haven’t done. So I will be doing a lot of her new-to-me workouts in the coming weeks. This workout was also filmed in a different area of her house and I continue to be impressed by how gorgeous her house is.
20 Min Dumbbell Full Body Workout – Compound Movements | No Repeat is 26:44 minutes; 2 minute intro, no warm up and 3:30 minute stretch. Equipment: dumbbells and fitness mat. Caroline is using 15kg and 7.5kg dumbbells. The weights listed below are what I used.
- Single arm bent over row (one 45# DB)
- Repeat #1 on other side of body
- Front rack squat (squat with DBs at shoulders) (27.5# DBs)
- Chest press (30# DBs)
- Static lunge (stationary lunges w/ DBs held at shoulders) (20# DBs)
- Repeat #5 on other side of body
- Renegade row (alternate arms) (27.5# DBs)
- Alternating reverse lunges (20# DBs)
- Pullovers (one 40# DB)
- Deadlifts (40# DBs)
- Push ups
- Close stance squat (narrow squat holding one DB in both hands in front of chest) (one 35# DB)
- Shoulder press (overhead shoulder press, arms are in goal post) (20# DBs)
- Rear step forward lean lunge (reverse lunges, holding one DB in same side hand as leg that is stepping back, torso is hinged forward over front leg) (one 27.5# DBs)
- Repeat #14 on other side of body
- Lat sweeps (hinge forward with one DB in each hand, keeping arms straight, lift arms up behind you with arms close to sides) (10# DBs)
- Goblet squats (one 50# DB)
- Upright rows (15# DBs)
- Alternating dead bug (for 60 seconds (lay on back, legs are raised w/ knees bent at 90 degrees and arms/DBs are extended straight to ceiling, lower one arm/DB overhead while also extending the opposite leg straight) (15# DBs)
- (no recovery) Toe reach to leg lower for 60 seconds (still laying on back, hold one DB in both hands extended to ceiling, straight legs are lifted to ceiling, lower legs until they are a few inches off the floor, raise them back to ceiling then crunch upper body, reaching DB to feet) (one 15# DB)