This is a workout from Caroline Girvan‘s CGX app. For more info on Caroline’s App, see the CGX App page.
This is a tough tricep workout! The entire workout is done on the mat–either laying on your back, in plank or laying on your stomach. And since the recoveries are short, your triceps will definitely be feeling it. I was conservative with my dumbbell choices due to the short recoveries and my triceps were still burning! “Elbows in” just means that for all of the exercise your arms/elbows are kept close to your sides.
The exercises in this workout are done interval style: 45 seconds of work followed by 15 seconds of rest. There is a timer in the upper right hand side of the screen counting down your intervals and recoveries. During the recovery Caroline previews the next exercise. There is also a little bar at the bottom of the screen that counts down the entire workout time as a percentage.
‘Elbows in’ Triceps is 17:24 minutes (this time does not include the optional 5:53 minute warm up) with a 1:30 minute stretch. Equipment: dumbbells and fitness mat. Caroline is using 7.5kg/16.5 pound dumbbells. The weights listed below are what I used.
- Shoulder crusher (similar to a skull crusher but rather than keeping arms straight from elbow to shoulder, bend elbows bringing DBs to shoulders) (13# DBs)
- Skull crushers (13# DBs)
- Overhead tap to mat (same as a skull crushers but tap ends of DBs to mat behind head) (13# DBs)
- Diamond press (press DBs together over chest, push DBs to ceiling keeping arms/elbows close to sides) (20# DBs)
- Tricep press (narrow chest press, keep arms/elbows close to sides and push DBs to ceiling) (20# DBs)
- Tricep push up
- Cobra tricep push ups (push ups keeping legs and hips on floor)
- Repeat #1-7
- Overhead extension (x1 dumbbell) for 60 seconds (similar to a skull crusher but elbows are not in line with shoulders, elbows are further behind your shoulders so that bicep/triceps are on a diagonal) (one 20# DB)