This is the second free GymRa workout I’ve done and the first thing I want to say is I really liked this workout a lot. However, it had the same problem as the first one I did (Tabata Extreme)–boring, uninspiring music that you can barely hear. Which makes me think that maybe what I need to do when I return to these workouts is supply my own music. I don’t like doing that but motivating music makes a workout so much better. In fact, I know I would enjoy Tabata Extreme a lot more with the right music.
The second thing I have to share is that I did not burn 300 calories. I fact, according to my Fitbit, I didn’t even burn half that. In 24 minutes I burned 147 calories. It felt like I burned more than that. This was a tough workout and my heart was pumping hard! I was also surprised that, according to my Fitbit, I never went into my peak heart rate zone. But I question my Fitbit sometimes. I’ve had days when it claims a 30 minute Kelly Coffey-Meyer workout worked me harder than a 30 minute Shaun T workout (Insanity: Max 30). Now, I am not saying Kelly doesn’t have excellent and intense workouts, but they are nowhere near as intense as Shaun T’s workouts. They just aren’t. And then there is also the way you feel (perceived exertion). An Insanity workout kills me, a 30 Minutes to Fitness workout? Not so much. My point is, I don’t always trust my Fitbit. Sometimes what it tells me reflects how the workout felt; other times it has me scratching my head. And this workout is one of those cases. It felt like I worked harder than what my Fitbit claims!
Burn 300 Calories Metabolism Booster HIIT Workout is led by Julia Bognar. She also leads Tabata Extreme and I really like her. This workout is set up in 3 metabolic strength circuits alternated w/ 3 HIIT circuits. They are all tough. Julia used 3 pound dumbbells. I used 5 pound dumbbells, and during that first circuit, they were burning my shoulders out big time. In fact, after the first circuit was finished, I grabbed my 3 pound dumbbells! I wanted them close by–just in case! But I didn’t end up using them.
Burn 300 Calories Metabolism Booster HIIT Workout is 24 minutes long; Julia gives a 30 second intro, 1:30 minute warm up and 1 minute stretch. This workout is set outdoors, too. A beautiful seaside view.
Metabolic Circuit #1 (you need two handweights for this circuit):
- Alternating reverse lunges w/ double arm overhead presses
- Alternating side lunges w/ reverse fly and overhead press when standing
- Alternating diagonal lunges w/ a single arm punch
- Chair squat w/ chest fly while in squat
- Combine all 4 exercises and do them fast, one right after the other: 4 reps of #1, 2 reps of #2, 4 reps of #3, and 2 reps of #4. Repeat this combo 4 times.
HIIT Circuit #1: 8 high knee runs, 4 tuck jumps; repeat 6x
Metabolic Circuit #2 (you need one handweight for this circuit):
- Alternating front lunges; while in lunge, pass the DB under the front leg and bring out to side of body (straight arm) when standing
- Alternating side squats; while in squat, pass DB around one leg and bring it out to side of body (straight arm) when standing
- Alternating reverse lunges; while in lunge, pass the DB under the front leg and bring out to side of body (straight arm) when standing
- Combine all 3 exercises and do them fast, one right after the other: you do one set of each exercise and repeat 4x
HIIT Circuit #2: 8 donkey jogs, 4 donkey kicks; repeat 6x
Metabolic Circuit #3 (no handweights needed for this circuit; for each exercise combo listed, you flow from one exercise to the next):
- Tricep push up, down dog, touch hand to opposite ankle, side plank; alternate sides
- Push up, reverse plank, push up, alternate bringing knee to same side elbow (on outside of body) 4x
- Sit up to standing, 2 squat jumps
HIIT Circuit #3: 8 butt kick runs, 4 rock start jumps; repet 6x
For more info on GymRa and other (free) streaming workouts I’ve sampled and reviewed, check out my Streaming page.