Target 10: Squats & Lunges is part of Linda @ Barlate‘s Target 10 series. Linda has 3 “Target” series: Target 10, Target 15 and Target 20 and I bought all 3 DVDs. Each DVD contains 10 focused workouts that fall within the title’s time range. Squats & Lunges contains 10 exercises that “target” your lower body. You are doing each exercise for sixty second intervals with no rest/recovery periods, so the workout is 10 minutes. They are all technically a minute or two longer than 10 minutes but that is because Linda gives a short intro about what to expect and what equipment you need.
These workouts are great to use as finishers or to combine with other workouts for a longer workout, which is how I used it this morning. I started with Linda’s Target 15: Weighted Upper followed by this workout to work my lower body then I ended my hour with some intense low impact cardio that also gave my lower body a bit of conditioning (BodyFit by Amy‘s 25 Minute Low Impact Cardio HIIT).
The intro to Target 10: Squats & Lunges actually says “Barre Lower” but it’s not. There is a Barre Lower workout included in Linda’s Target 10 series, but this isn’t it, so it’s just an editing issue. Even tho it says Barre Lower on the intro page, it is Squats & Lunges. Though it is short workout, Linda does a great job burning out your lower body with only a fitness loop and some high rep exercises. She said she is using a heavy resistance elastic band. I used my medium Enriq cloth booty band and that did a great job burning out my lower body. She does have you lower the loop to just below your knees for some wide plie squats. My loop is too strong for me to do a wide plie squat with it so I paused the workout and swapped out my Enriq for an elastic loop for that exercise but I swapped back to my Enriq band afterwards.
Target 10: Squats & Lunges is available for free on YouTube or you can purchase her Target 10 Series on DVD which contains 9 additional 10 minute workouts. You can also purchase the download from Linda via her website.
Squats & Lunges is 12 minutes; 1:45 minute intro, no warm or stretch. Equipment: fitness loop/booty band/fire walker. The workout starts with the loop around your thighs, just above your knees. You might need a chair for balance on #8.
- Basic squat with legs a bit wider than shoulder width
- Step out squats (one narrow squat then step out to side into wide squat, alternate sides with a narrow squat between each side)
- Curtsy lunges
- Front curtsy lunge, tapping floor with fingertips when in lunge
- Side lunge then hold in lunge and hop bent leg’s foot forward then back then return to standing, while in lunge tap fingertips to floor
- Repeat #3-5 on other leg
- (lower loop so it is just below your knees) In a wide pile squat, pulse 3x then reach fingertips to floor and pulse 3x
- (bring loop back above knees) Lower into a barre squat with legs a bit wider than shoulder width (spine straight), raise heels and pulse 3x, jump feet in so feet are touching and lower heels (still in a barre squat) and pulse 3x, alternate between these two versions of a barre squat