Light Handweight Cardio Crush is yet another workout in AngieFitnessTV‘s 15 Minutes to Fit Series. I am loving Angie’s 15 Minutes to Fit series. I will be reviewing all of the ones I am currently capable of doing (shoulder surgery restrictions). Her 15 Minutes to Fit workouts are created as finishers–something to add on to the end of a longer workout to give you at extra bit of cardio or strength or whatever the focus of the workout. This morning was upper body strength day for me. I did Cathe‘s Pyramid Pump Upper and I used this as a finisher since you are getting some high rep light weight toning while cardio walking. I am now 6 weeks post surgery and I can move my left arm through most (not all) ranges of motion. So now when I do any upper body strength movements I also do the move with my left arm sans weights. However, workouts like this (cardio based) the moves are done too fast and I am not there yet, so many of these moves in this workout I did with just my right arm.
Anyway, this is a low impact cardio walk with lots of upper body strength moves. You are doing each move for 60 seconds and at a brisk pace, so for many of them it will be high rep. To increase the cardio intensity I wore a 10 pound weighted belt, an 8 pound weighted vest, 1 pound ankle weights and a 1 pound weighted glove on my right hand. I also used 2, 3 and 5 pound hand weights with my right hand. Some of the moves–like the ones I used the 5 pound dumbbell on (#9-12), I was able to go through the motions with my left arm without holding any hand weights. So bonus–PT work for my left arm/shoulder! Anyway, I really liked this and it’s a great finisher for any upper body workout. Gives you a cardio push and a bit more work for your arms. Plus, she ends the workout with a stretch so it truly is a great way to “finish” any workout.
Light Handweight Cardio Crush is 18:53 minutes; 30 second intro; 3 minute warm up and 2:45 minute stretch. Equipment: light hand weights. Angie recommends 1, 2 or 3 pounds. I used 2, 3 and 5 pound dumbbells, depending on the move.
- Hamstring curl with bicep curls
- Raise one knee while doing a double arm front raise then tap other leg out to side while doing a straight arm side raise
- Hamstring curls with upright rows
- Repeat #2 on other side of body but arms change to single arm front raise during knee raise and single arm side raise during side tap
- Step out wide then narrow (out-out-in-in), alternate upright rows with front raises
- Lift one leg out straight to side then do a cross body punch while tapping out to side with other foot
- Repeat #5 but this time alternate an upright row with side lateral raise
- Repeat #6 on other side of body
- Tap one leg/foot to the front then to the back, keep leg back and do 3 fast alternating back rows
- Tap one foot out to side 2x then do one double arm tricep kickback
- Repeat #9 on other side of body
- Repeat #10 tapping with other foot