This workout is actually mislabeled on YouTube as “NEW Low Impact Workout Program.” The reason for that is Heather Robertson has created a 6 week low impact workout rotation and this is the first workout in the program, as she explains in her one minute intro. The workouts in the program/rotation are all workouts already uploaded to YouTube over the years. This was the only “new” workout in the program. So… for some reason this workout was titled as a program when it is really just one workout: Total Body Low Impact HIIT Workout. The program calendar btw is available for free on Heather’s website. All of the workouts are already compiled in a playlist on YouTube and most of the workouts are probably already reviewed on this blog.
This was another excellent and intense total body metabolic strength training workout. It is made up of compound strength exercises and low impact cardio moves. This gave me a good total body workout and some cardio to boot. Depending on your goals and training schedule, this may be all of the strength work you need, but I felt like some muscle groups needed more work than they got in this workout. But for a quick total body workout that also melts calories–this is excellent!
This workout is made up of 3 circuits and each circuit contains 5 exercises. Each circuit is done twice before moving on to the next circuit. The exercises are done interval style: 40 seconds of work followed by 20 seconds of rest. There is a timer in the lower right hand side of the screen, counting down the intervals and recoveries. During the recovery Heather previews the next exercise.
Total Body Low Impact HIIT Workout is 37:53 minutes; 1 minute intro, 3:30 minute warm up and 2:30 minute stretch. Equipment: fitness mat and dumbbells. Heather is using 5 and 10 pound dumbbells. The weights listed below are what I used.
- Deadlift squat & curl (do one deadlift, at top of deadlift step out into a squat, hold at bottom of squat and do one double arm hammer curl, stand and bring feet together, alternate sides when doing step out squat) (15# DBs)
- Skate & press (hold one DB in one hand, do one rear curtsy lunge, reaching DB down toward front foot, at top of lunge do a single arm overhead press) (one 15# DB)
- Repeat #2 on other side of body
- Leg drop & crunch (lay on back holding one DB in both hands at chest level, knees are bent and feet are raised off floor, do one pull over then bring DB to knees, extend legs out straight, elevated a few inches off the floor then bring knees back in to DB) (one 20# DB)
- Inchworm climbers (stand at end of mat, hinge forward and walk hands out to plank, do 2 mountain climbers (once each leg), walk hands back to feet, stand and raise arms overhead while also raising onto toes)
- Repeat #1-5
30 second rest
- T push ups (holding a DB in each hand, do one tricep push up then rotate into side plank, raising arm/DB to ceiling, alternate sides with a tricep push up between each side) (10# DBs)
- Lunge & curl (stationary lunge with a double arm hammer curl at top of lunge) (15# DBs)
- Lunge & raise (stationary lunge on other leg with double arm straight arm side raise at the top of the lunge) (6# DBs)
- Hold chair pose (for entire interval)
- Leap frog (stand with legs wide, holding a light DB in each hand, squat and tap ends of DBs on floor, stand and raise arms/DBs overhead while also raising onto toes) (5# DBs)
- Repeat #1-5
30 seconds rest
- Skull crushers (10# DBs)
- Arnold push press (squat holding DBs in front of shoulders and when you stand do an Arnold press) (15# DBs)
- Side lunge & press (alternating stationary side lunges, hold one DB in both hands and between sides do one straight arm front press) (one 15# DB)
- Plank tap combo (in straight arm plank, tap one hand to opposite shoulder (once each hand) then push back into pike and tap one hand to opposite foot, return to plank then push back into pike again and tap other hand to opposite foot)
- Crouching jacks (holding a light DB in each hand, do one narrow squat reaching DBs to floor, stand and step one foot out to side with jumping jack arms, alternate sides with a narrow squat between each side) (5# DBs)
- Repeat #1-5