Full Body Strength Workout // Low Impact + Dumbbells Only is an excellent and intense total body strength workout from Heather Robertson. It is made up of compound exercises rather than isolation exercises (compound exercises work multiple muscle groups) and this affects your weight choices, but I was still working hard. I felt like my upper body got a much more intense workout than my lower body until I got to the final exercise–squat swing & hop. That was burning out my lower body! It also made my heart rate jump into my peak heart rate zone. Great exercise. Even Heather burns out in the course of this workout, dropping to her knees during the last set of push ups. I rarely see Heather lose steam during one of her workouts so you know it’s tough when she is burning out. I did use a lower body finisher workout from Caroline Givan to round out my hour and give my lower body some extra work. Between this workout and the glute and hamstring finisher I did, I burned 350 calories. So this was very metabolic, too.
This workout is made up of 10 compound exercises. Each exercise is done 3 times before you move onto the next exercise. The exercises are done interval style: 40 seconds of work followed by 20 seconds of recovery. There is a timer in the lower left hand side of the screen counting down your intervals and recovery. During the recovery Heather previews the next exercise.
Full Body Strength Workout // Low Impact + Dumbbells Only is 38:38 minutes; 4 minute warm up and 4 minute stretch. Equipment: dumbbells and fitness mat. Heather is using 10, 15 and 25 pound dumbbells. The weights listed below are what I used.
- Deadlift & squat (alternate one deadlift with one squat) (25# DBs)
- Repeat #1 two more times
- Row & press (one bent over row alternated with one overhead press) (18# DBs)
- Repeat #3 two more times
- Lunge & twist (alternating reverse lunges, hold one DB goblet style and when in lunge, twist torso/DB toward front leg) (one 25# DB)
- Repeat #5 two more times
- Push up & leg lift (do a single leg raise at bottom of push up, alternate legs)
- Repeat #7 two more times
- Push press (squat w/ DBs at shoulders + overhead press when standing) (15# DBs)
- Repeat #9 two more times
- 30 second rest
- Chest press & bridge (lay on back on mat, knees bent and feet on floor close to glutes, raise hips into glute bridge, do one chest press then lower DBs and hips at the same time) (20# DBs)
- Repeat # 12 two more times
- Sumo & row (alternate one sumo squat with one upright row) (15# DBs)
- Repeat #14 two more times
- Bicycle pullovers (do slow bicycle maneuver with your legs while also doing pullovers) (one 18# DB)
- Repeat # 16 two more times
- Curtsy & raise (alternating curtsy/cross-back lunges, between sides do one single bent arm side raise, alternate arms) (8# DBs)
- Repeat #18 two more times
- Squat swing & hop (stand with legs wider than hip width, a DB resting on one end on floor between legs, squat and hold, grab top of DB and do one kettlebell swing while remaining in squat, place it back on floor and do one squat jump) (one 20# DB)
- Repeat #20 two more times