Leg Day – Intense Leg Workout with Dumbbells is Day 1 in Caroline Girvan‘s Beastmode series. I am loving the Beastmode series! This was another tough lower body strength workout. Not as brutal as some of the her other lower body workouts (or some of the other Beastmode workouts I’ve done so far) but still excellent and challenging. You do 90 seconds of wall sits in this workout–3 times! Now that was brutal! I was definitely struggling near the end of the 90 seconds and on the last one, I had to stand briefly at the 60 second point. But it was burning Caroline out, too.
All of the exercises in this workout workout are done interval style. Most of the exercises are done for 40 seconds of work followed by 20 seconds of rest, except for the staple exercise (wall sits); it is done for 90 seconds and has different recovery lengths framing it. There is a timer in the upper left hand side of the screen counting down your intervals and recoveries. There were some problems with the timers in this workout. Other than the recoveries framing the wall sits, you always get 20 seconds of recovery, but sometimes the timer said you were getting 30 seconds. You don’t actually get 30 seconds though–Caroline starts the exercise when there was still 10 seconds left on the timer. The timers also have a bar that circles the timer, closing the circle at the end of the recovery or interval. That always worked properly. So even if it said there was 10 seconds left on the recovery timer, the circle closed and the interval timer replaced it. During the recoveries Caroline previews the next exercise. There is also a little bar at the bottom of the screen that counts down the entire workout time as a percentage.
***The Beastmode workouts are an important part of the 7 Week Rotation I created. There are 2 Beastmode weeks in the rotation. So below, I am documenting the increase in weights I was able to lift the second and final time you revisit the workouts in the rotation. The first weight listed is frequently already heavier than what I lifted the first time I did the workout in October 2021. When I returned to it at the beginning of the 7 Week Rotation, I updated my weights in this review. So the first weight listed is what I used at week 3 of the rotation and the second weight (with the date 12/25/21) is what I used the 6th week of the rotation. If there is no date then I used the same weight both weeks.***
***10/11/22 I used this workout in yet another rotation so there are more dated weight updates below. The ones dated 10/11/22 are for Caroline Girvan Strength & Muscle Building Rotation. I only added a date and weight when I lifted heavier than the last time I did the workout.***
Beastmode Leg Day – Intense Leg Workout with Dumbbells | Day 1 is 39:43 minutes; 1:20 minute intro, no warm up and 1:45 minute stretch. Equipment: dumbbells, a chair, and a yoga block. Caroline is using 12.5kg/27.5 pound dumbbells. The weights listed below are what I used. I used a set of 8 pound dumbbells to elevate my heels. I used my square high step at 18 inches for the Bulgarian lunges and the step topper for the elevated rear step lunges.
- 1.5 rep heel elevated squats (heels are elevated using the yoga block, lower to bottom of squat, raise halfway, lower to bottom of squat then raise all the way) (25# DBs) (10/11/22 27.5# DBs)
- Repeat #1 three more times
- Static lunge (stationary lunges) (20# DBs; 12/25/21 25# DBs)
- Repeat #3 on other side of body
- Repeat #3 & 4
- 15 second rest
- Wall sit/squat for 90 seconds
- 30 second rest
- Bulgarian lunge (back leg is elevated on chair, hold one DB at same side shoulder as front leg) (one 20# DB; 12/25/21 one 25# DB) (10/11/22 one 27.5# DB)
- Repeat #9 on other side of body
- Repeat #9 & 10
- 1/2 rep staggered squat (single leg squat, back leg is in kickstand, lower to bottom of squat but only raise halfway, holding one DB at same side shoulder as front leg) (one 25# DB; 12/25/21 one 30# DB) (10/11/22 one 35# DB)
- Repeat #12 on other side of body
- Repeat #12 & 13
- Repeat #6-8
- Lateral lunge (hold one DB in one hand, when you step out into side lunge reach DB toward foot of bent leg) (one 25# DB; 12/25/21 one 30# DB)
- Repeat #16 on other side of body
- Repeat #16 & 17
- Slow 1/2 rep heel elevated squats (heels are elevated on yoga block, hold one DB in both hands at chest level, lower to bottom of squat but only raise halfway) (one 25# DB; 12/25/21 one 35# DB)
- Repeat #19 three more times
- Repeat #6-8
- Elevated rear step lunge (reverse lunges, front foot is elevated on yoga block)
- Repeat #22 on other leg
- Repeat #22 & 23 at a faster pace
Finisher: (90 seconds)
- Wall sit march for 30 seconds(while holding wall squat, alternate kicking legs in front of you)
- 1/2 rep elevated squat for 30 seconds (body weight/heels are elevated on yoga block, lower to bottom of squat but only raise halfway)
- Wall sit hold for 30 seconds
For more info on Caroline Girvan’s workouts and other (free) streaming workouts I’ve sampled and reviewed, check out my Streaming page.
7 thoughts on “BEASTMODE LEG DAY – Intense Leg Workout with Dumbbells | Day 1”
I decided to run through Beastmode for the next almost 2 weeks. I’m going to do every workout in order. I’ve tacked on Some of Heather’s 10 min workouts here and there to round out the training. I actually wanted to do Caroline’s latest 20 min glute band workout after the main one but I didn’t have time to squeeze it in so I stuck with Heather’s 10 min yoga HiiT as planned which worked out okay.
We are installing new flooring (engineered hardwood) through most of our house. Had to move all the furniture out of the master and tear out the carpet this afternoon. Hubs just got done updating all 3 baths with new tile, fixtures, tub and sinks. What a job!
I love the Beastmode workouts! I have 2 weeks of Beastmode in my rotation. I thought I might run through my rotation twice but Caroline and Heather are coming out with so many awesome looking workouts I want to do that I’ve decided not to. I want to do all of these new workouts! So January when I finish one round of the rotation I’m back to doing lots of new-to-me workouts.
My husband did that about 10 years ago–ripped up most of our carpet and installed wood floors. He did it over an month or so though, not all in one weekend. However, last year we ripped up the carpet in my home gym and laid down gym flooring. We did it all in one day. It was grueling! Very hard work. He was sore for days afterward. But he doesn’t workout like I do. I didn’t get any DOMS. But I was worn out!
I did about 2/3 of the beastmode when they came out – all of the UB and FB and one of the legs. I saw one pop up when I was building my plan for the week and thought man, those were good, so I decided to do all of them. Like you said, it will be a good indicator of strength gains since summer.
I’ve tacked on a couple of Caroline’s new workouts. I’m doing shoulders and abs for sure, but if I have time I’m definitely going to squeeze in those glutes (pun intended!).
It will take us some time to put the flooring in. We have about 1500 sq ft to install, plus there’s a section of tile in the foyer that hubs has to jackhammer out yet. I help where I can, usually carting stuff out to the curb or otherwise lending my muscle. ☺️ What’s funny is that the tile we’ve jackhammered out is apparently back in vogue. I LOL’d when we were at Floor & Decor and saw it in display after display. It awful fleur de lis patterned stuff. 🤢🤮
LikeLiked by 1 person