Naomi Joy is doing something new! In addition to her awesome rebounder workouts, she is now also creating strength workouts. This morning I did her Upper Body Strength Training at Home and it was tough! It is a circuit workout done interval style. There is no talking in this workout–just music and graphics. You follow along with Naomi. She does everything to a slow pace, which makes many of the exercises even more challenging. This was an excellent and thorough upper body strength workout. Because it is only 36 minutes, I used Caroline Givan‘s 20 Minute Dumbbell Back and Biceps Workout. My upper body is fried!
This workout is made up of 3 circuits. Each circuit contains 5 exercises and is done twice before moving on to the next circuit. The exercises are done interval fashion; each exercise is done for 45 seconds followed by 15 seconds of recovery. There is a timer in the lower right hand side of the screen, counting down total workout time (not including the stretch). There is another timer in the upper right hand corner of the screen counting down your intervals and recoveries. During the recoveries Naomi previews the next exercise.
Upper Body Strength Training at Home is 36:17 minutes; 2:30 minute warm up and 3 minute stretch. Equipment: dumbbells and fitness mat. Naomi is using 10 and 15 pound dumbbells. The weights listed below are what I used.
- Tricep push up pulse (pulse 5x at bottom of tricep push up then push hips back to heels in a brief child’s pose)
- Tricep kickbacks (12# DBs)
- Overhead tricep press (French press) (12# DBs)
- Narrow diamond press (lay back on mat, do a narrow chest press, pressing DBs together over chest) (16.5# DBs)
- Wide overhead press (Arnold press) (15# DBs)
- Repeat #1-5
- Rear fly (bent over rear delt flys) (8# DBs)
- Slow push up
- W pull down (lay on stomach with arms extended in front of you, raise arms, hold and pull elbows behind back to ribs, push arms in front of you again–keep head/chest elevated throughout) (I held a resistance band, pulling it back to my chest when pulling elbows back to ribs, to increase the resistance)
- Hammer curl & press (hammer curl into overhead press) (16.5# DBs)
- Lateral raise (straight arm side raise, pause briefly at top of lift) (6# DBs)
- Repeat #1-5
- Bent over row (30# DBs)
- Lateral raise combo (do a straight arm side raise to side, stop when DBs are at shoulder level, rotate straight arms so DBs are in front of chest, return arms to sides then lower back to start) (6# DBs)
- Single arm press (hold DBs at shoulder level and alternate doing a single arm overhead press) (15# DBs)
- Hammer curl (16.5# DBs)
- Supine pulse (raise arms to halfway point of a bicep curl (elbows are at 90 degrees) and pulse DBs upward) (13# DBs)
- Repeat #1-5