Low Impact HIIT Workout (with Weights) is a metabolic strength workout from Heather Robertson. This workout was more intense than I expected it to be. Each circuit in this workout is repeated 3 times. The first time through a circuit I chose a heavier weight for some of the exercises that what is listed in the breakdown below, but I could not keep Heather’s pace and maintain good form so the last 2 circuits I dropped to something lighter. The weights listed in the break down are what I used in the last 2 circuits. But even with the lighter weights I was still working hard. I was actually surprised to see that my FitBit stats said I only spent a total of 2 minutes in my peak heart rate zone. It felt like a lot more to me. I did spend the majority of the workout in my cardio zone. According to my FitBit I burned 305 calories. One of the hardest exercises in the workout is a bodyweight exercise. The Bear Knee Tap in Circuit 2. By the end of that interval my quads and core were burning! It’s a tougher move than it appears! This is an excellent metabolic strength workout. It’s almost a full body workout. Heather manages to hit nearly every muscle in your body in some fashion–except your back.
This workout is made up of 2 circuits, each containing 6 exercises. Each circuit is done 3 times. The exercises in this workout are all done interval style: 45 seconds of work followed by 15 seconds of recovery. There is a timer in the lower right hand corner of the screen counting down your intervals and recoveries. During the recoveries Heather previews the next exercise.
Low Impact HIIT Workout (with Weights) is 43:16 minutes; 2:50 minute warm up and 3 minute stretch. Equipment: dumbbells and fitness mat. Heather is using 5 and 10 pound dumbbells. The weights listed below are what I used.
- Step & press (stand holding a DB in each hand, step out to side and keeping legs straight, hinge forward reaching DB to opposite foot, return to standing bringing feet together and doing a single arm overhead press) (15# DBs)
- Repeat #1 on other side of body
- Pike push up combo (alternate one regular push up with one pike push up)
- Skull crusher crunch (lay on mat with a DB in each hand, knees bent and feet on mat, push DBs to ceiling, do a skull crusher then do a full sit up with DBs at sides) (10# DBs)
- Squat, curl & press (stand holding DBs with palms facing forward, squat, at top of squat curl DBs to shoulders with palms facing you, do an overhead press, when DBs are at shoulders again finish the bicep curl) (15# DBs)
- Cross punch (alternate arms) (5# DBs)
- Repeat #1-6 two more times
30 second rest
- Side lunge & raise (stand with legs wide holding one DB in one hand, do a side lunge reaching DB down to foot, when you stand do one straight arm side raise) (one 8# DB)
- Repeat #2 on other side of body
- Bear knee taps (in bear pose (on hands and toes, with knees bent and elevated a few inches off the floor), pull one knee in under body and tap knee with opposite hand, alternate sides)
- Deadlift & squat (one deadlift + one step out squat, alternate sides when squatting) (20# DBs)
- Lunge & curl (alternating rear lunges with alternating single arm bicep curls) (15# DBs)
- Leap frog (stand with legs wide holding a light DB in each hand, squat and tap ends of DBs to floor, stand and raise DBs overhead while also raising onto toes) (5# DBs)
- Repeat #1-6 two more times
For more info on Heather Robertson’s workouts and other (free) streaming workouts I’ve sampled and reviewed, check out my Streaming page.