10 Min Leg Day Workout is Day 18 in Heather Robertson‘s Daily 10 Series, which is a series of 10 minute workouts that Heather is uploading every day in the month of November. This workout is an excellent finisher for any lower body workout. Or even a total body workout where you want to get in some extra lower body work. The exercises are done at a slow enough pace that you are able to lift heavy dumbbells and get the most out of this short workout. I initially planned to use this workout as a finisher for the lower body workout I did this morning (Caroline Girvan‘s Awakened Glutes & Hamstrings) but after previewing my review of that workout, I realized my lower body would be fried after finishing Caroline’s workout and I would not be able to give this finisher my all. So in this instance, I started with this workout. Since there is no warm up (not for this workout or Caroline’s), I did Heather’s Leg Day Warm Up, then this workout. It actually worked my lower body nicely in just 10 minutes and thoroughly warmed me up for my actual leg day workout. The exercises are all done interval style: 40 seconds of work followed by 20 seconds of recovery. There is a timer in the lower right hand corner of the screen counting down your intervals and recoveries. During the recoveries Heather previews the next exercise.
10 Min Leg Day Workout is 10:41 minutes; no warm up or stretch. Equipment: fitness mat and dumbbells. Heather is using 25 pound dumbbells. The weights listed below are what I used.
- Stationary lunge (holding one DB in same side hand as front leg) (one 25# DB)
- Knee drive (holding one DB in both hands goblet style, reverse lunge and at top of lunge raise knee) (one 25# DB)
- Repeat #1 & 2 on other side of body
- 1.5 goblet squat (lower to bottom of squat, raise halfway, lower to bottom of squat, raise all the way) (one 40# DB)
- Sumo squat (one 50# DB)
- Stiff leg deadlift (35# DBs)
- Side lunge (alternating stationary side lunges holding one DB in both hands goblet style) (one 30# DB)
- Glute bridge (lay on mat with knees bent and feet on mat close to glutes, one heavy DB on hips, raise and lower hips) (one 40# DB)
- Glute bridge pulses (same position as #8, but keep hips raised at top of bridge and pulse hips upward) (one 40# DB)