30 Min Leg Workout – Dumbbell Leg Day is Day 1 in Caroline Girvan‘s 6 week Iron Series. I am very excited to finally be doing this series. It is my plan to do every single workout in the Iron Series so stay tuned! This was a solid lower body strength workout. Caroline moves through each exercise at a slow and controlled pace. Each exercise is done for 2 sets except for deadlifts which are done for 3 sets. Since I love deadlifts I was happy about that! This workout has a long intro (5:47 minutes). That’s because the first 5 minutes Caroline gives an overview of the 6 week Iron Series and she also talks about how she works out. She says that these workouts that she films are her actual workouts. In addition to these workouts, she walks an hour every day and does a HIIT workout on Sundays (in addition to whatever else she films and uploads that day). In fact, she linked to her favorite HIIT workout below this video. I have not done or reviewed that workout nor do I ever plan to! It looks brutal (500 Rep Cardio Challenge). She says she has returned to it several times since filming it.
All of the exercises in this workout are done interval style: 60 seconds of work followed by 30 seconds of rest. There is a timer in the upper left hand side of the screen counting down your intervals and recoveries. During the recovery Caroline previews the next exercise. There is also a little bar at the bottom of the screen that counts down the entire workout time as a percentage. Since this workout is actually only 36 minutes (I had already listened to the intro when previewing this workout so I skipped past it), I used one of Heather Robertson‘s Daily 10 lower body workouts as a finisher: Day 18: 10 Min Leg Workout. I also used Heather’s Leg Day Warm Up Routine as my warm up.
30 Min Leg Workout is 41:47 minutes; 5:47 minute intro, no warm up and 3:30 minute stretch. Equipment: dumbbells and a fitness mat. Caroline is using 15kg/33 pound dumbbells. The weights listed below are what I used.
- Suitcase squat (narrow squats holding DBs at sides) (25# DBs)
- Repeat #1
- Static lunge (stationary lunges) (18# DBs)
- Repeat #3 on other side of body
- Repeat #3 & 4
- RDL (Romanian deadlift) (35# DBs)
- Repeat #6 two more times
- Rear step lunge (reverse lunges, hold one DB in same side hand as leg that is stepping back) (one 18# DB)
- Repeat #8 on other side of body
- Repeat #8 & 9
- Pause at bottom goblet squat (one 40# DB)
- Repeat #11
- Lateral lunge (stationary side lunges) (one 30# DB)
- Repeat #13 on other side of body
- Repeat #13 & 14
Finisher: (2:30 minutes, no rests/recoveries)
- 1/2 rep goblet squat for 30 seconds (lower to bottom of squat but only raise halfway) (one 40# DB)
- Full range goblet squats for 30 seconds (one 40# DB)
- Full range body weight squats for 30 seconds
- 1/2 rep body weight squats for 60 seconds