10 Min Kickboxing Tabata Workout is Day 23 in Heather Robertson‘s Daily 10 Series, which is a series of 10 minute workouts that Heather uploaded every day in the month of November. This workout is the perfect length to add onto the end of another workout to give yourself a little cardio finisher. I add this workout on after an upper body strength workout, so this gave me a nice burst of cardio at the end of my workout. And since you are using light dumbbells (2 pounds) it also gave my upper body a little bit of extra work. This workout actually contains all of the same exercises as Heather’s Killer Kickboxing Tabata Workout. In fact, I think this little workout is just an edited version of that workout since Heather is wearing the exact same outfit (almost like a DVD “time saver” premix). Even though the same exercises are used, this workout was a bit more fun because it is structured differently–so it appears to have more variety. It was not super intense though. According to my FitBit I only burned 74 calories and remained in my cardio heart rate zone throughout (no spikes into my peak heart rate zone). Still, this was a fun little kickboxing finisher workout.
This workout is structured using tabata intervals. A tabata is a type of HIIT (high intensity interval training): 20 seconds of work followed by 10 seconds of recovery. In a traditional tabata protocol you would repeat this 20/10 interval 8 times for a 4 minute tabata circuit. But that is not how this tabata workout is performed. There is one circuit of ten 20/10 intervals. You run through all 10 intervals twice without any rest/recovery other than the 10 seconds. There is a timer in the lower right hand corner of the screen counting down your intervals and recoveries. During the recovery, Heather previews the next exercise.
10 Min Kickboxing Tabata Workout is 10:33 minutes; no warm up or stretch. Equipment: light dumbbells and fitness mat. Heather is using 2 pound hand weights. I also used 2 pound hand weights.
- Squat & kick (squat + one front kick, alternate legs)
- Cross punch (alternating arms)
- Crunch & punch (full sit up with one punch at top of sit up, alternate arms)
- Curtsy & kick (curtsy lunge into a diagonal kick, alternate sides)
- Boxer jacks (jumping jacks with alternating front punches in time with legs)
- Duck & weave (holding DBs together in front of you, standing with wide legs, shift side to side, lowering into deep squat while ducking down upper body when shifting to other side)
- Elbow & jump (lower into squat and hold isometrically while doing 2 hook punches (one each arm) + one squat jump)
- Fast feet (arms do bicep curls into tricep kickbacks)
- Ghost rope (lateral hop w/ jump rope arms)
- Jab & knee drive (2 alternating front punches (one each arm) + one knee raise, alternate sides with knee raise)
- Repeat #1-10