30 Min Quad Workout – Dumbbell Leg Day is Day 6 in Caroline Girvan‘s Iron Series. Wow–this workout was intense! Caroline fried my quads! This workout hits your entire lower body but as the title indicates, your quads get the bulk of the work. Mine were trembling by the end. All of the exercises in this workout are done interval style: 60 seconds of work followed by 30 seconds of rest. There is a timer in the upper left hand side of the screen counting down your intervals and recoveries. During the recovery Caroline previews the next exercise. There is also a little bar at the bottom of the screen that counts down the entire workout time as a percentage. When this workout was done, I did not know if I could manage the finisher I had planned but since it only used a booty band, I decided to just do it. I did one of Heather Robertson‘s Daily 10 workouts: Day 13 Booty Band Workout. Between the two workouts my lower body was done!
30 Min Quad Workout – Dumbbell Leg Day is 36:27 minutes; 2:40 minute intro, no warm up and 3 minute stretch. Equipment: dumbbells, a chair, a yoga block and fitness mat. Caroline is using 20kg/44pounds and 12.5kg/27.6 pound dumbbells. The weights listed below are what I used.
- Closer stance lunge (static/stationary lunge with feet closer than hip width) (20# DBs)
- Repeat #1 on other side of body
- Repeat #1 & 2
- Heel elevated squats (heels are elevated on yoga block, hold DBs at shoulders) (25# DBs)
- Repeat #4
- Heel elevated squat slow eccentric (same position as #4 but lower slowly into squat and rise at normal speed) (25# DBs)
- Repeat #6
- Bulgarian lunge (stationary lunge with back foot elevated on chair behind you) (20# DBs)
- Repeat #8 on other side of body
- Slow lower (same position as #8 but lower slowly and raise at normal speed, hold one DB at shoulder of front/working leg) (one 25# DB)
- Repeat #10 on other side of body
- Close stance Bulgarian lunge (same position as #8, but front leg is closer to chair, hold one DB at shoulder of front/working leg) (one 25# DB)
- Repeat #12 on other side of body
- Body weight half reps (same position as #12, no DB, lower to bottom of lunge but only raise halfway)
- Repeat #14 on other side of body
- Goblet squat (one 45# DB)
- Repeat #16
Finisher: (2:30 minutes, no rest/recoveries)
- Body weight heel elevated squats for 60 seconds (heels are elevated on yoga block)
- Hold at bottom of squat for 30 seconds
- Repeat #1
For more info on Caroline Girvan’s workouts and other (free) streaming workouts I’ve sampled and reviewed, check out my Streaming page.
3 thoughts on “IRON Series 30 Min Quad Workout – Dumbbell Leg Day | 6”
Happy Tuesday to you!
Today I did H2.0 Day 20 total body HiiT which I think you did a couple weeks ago. Another fine strength/cardio workout although like you said it was light on back especially. So I added an excellent 20 min dynamic/isometric upper body strength workout from Caroline (https://youtu.be/UBPAek16pl4). I didn’t see this one on your list but you should take a look at it. Very excellent endurance workout using a “light” weight. 25/25/5 format of iso/dyn/rest. 5 sec is not enough rest so I had to stop a few times to thaw a bit. Caroline was using 6.5 kg. I started with 12 lb but dropped to 10 by the 3rd exercise set. I liked this workout because I could safely use lighter weights but still get burnout. ☺️
I’m getting an MRI on my elbow 7/6 and will go back to the doc on 7/11 to determine how to fix it. MRI is key. If the tear is clean, PRP (platelet rich plasma) therapy would help or maybe needling. If it’s messy then likely surgery. I’ll see a PT in the meantime. I am on a course of prednisone which is helping the discomfort short term.
I hope your MRI brings you news that leads to a solution to your pain. Chronic pain is so frustrating!