Low Impact HIIT // No Repeats Workout is a short but fun total body workout from Heather Robertson. As the title promises there is no jumping in this workout. I think this is another one of her “premix” workouts–where she takes a longer workout and edits it into something new, shorter and fun. I do not know which workout it was edited from, but during one of the exercises (#6 below), the timer says you have 45 seconds rather than 30 seconds. However, it stops when there is still 15 seconds left and you go to the recovery. That indicates it was edited from something that has 45 second intervals. Because of the short intervals and long recoveries, I used this as a warm up before doing a very intense total body strength workout. This worked perfectly for that purpose. It warmed me up and gave me a bit of strength work, too. This is not an intense workout but it is enjoyable. All of the exercises are done interval style: 30 seconds of work followed by 30 seconds of rest. There is a timer in the lower right hand corner of the screen, counting down your intervals and recoveries. During the recoveries Heather previews the next exercise.
Low Impact HIIT // No Repeats Workout is 25:04 minutes; 2 minute warm up and 2 minute stretch. Equipment: dumbbells and fitness mat. Heather is using 5 and 10 pound dumbbells. The weights listed below are what I used.
- Plank & reach (in straight arm plank, holding a DB in each hand, raise one arm straight in front of you to shoulder level, alternate arms) (5# DBs)
- Lay down push ups (do one push up and lower body all the way to mat, extend arms straight in front of you and raise legs superman style, place hands on mat under shoulders again and do a push up)
- Single arm swings (holding a DB in each hand, do single arm kettlebell swings, alternate arms) (15# DBs)
- Squat toe taps (lower into partial squat with arms extended in front of you, alternate tapping toes out to sides)
- Inchworm climbers (stand at end of mat, hinge forward and walk hands out to plank, do 2 mountain climbers (once each leg), walk hands back to feet, stand raising arms overhead)
- Lunge & touch (alternating forward leaning reverse lunges, when in lunge hinge torso forward over front leg and tap DBs to floor on either side of foot, when you stand do a double arm bicep curl) (10# DBs)
- Side lunge & raise (hold one DB in one hand, do one side lunge, at top of lunge do a straight arm front raise, lifting DB overhead) (one 10# DB)
- Repeat #7 on other side of body
- Straight leg bicycle (lay on back with hands behind head and legs extended straight to ceiling, lower one straight leg while bringing opposite elbow to knee of leg still extended to ceiling, alternate sides)
- Plank & press up (holding a DB in each hand, place DBs on floor and step feet back into plank, walk feet back into hands, stand and do an overhead press) (20# DBs)
- Step & drive (tap one foot back, step it back in and do a knee raise with other leg, arms do alternating hammer curls into tricep kickbacks) (10# DBs)
- Repeat #11 on other side of body
- Dolphin push up (on elbow plank, push hips back and up into dolphin pose then return to elbow plank, flow between these two moves)
- High knee twist (holding one DB in both hands, do alternating knee raises bringing DB to hip when knee raises) (one 10# DB)
- Crouching jacks (do a narrow squat with hands/DBs by ankles, stand and step out to one side, swinging arms/DBs to side and overhead (jumping jacks arms), alternate sides with a narrow squat between each side) (5# DBs)
- Squat & toe touch (squat with hands behind head, when you stand do one straight leg raise touching toe with opposite hand, alternate legs with a squat between each leg lift)
- Push ups
- Cross & press (holding a DB in each hand, step one foot out to side, keeping legs straight, hinge forward reaching one DB toward opposite foot, straighten bringing feet together and do one double arm overhead shoulder press, alternate sides when stepping out) (15# DBs)
- Lunge & twist (hold one DB in both hands, do alternating reverse lunges, while in lunge, rotate DB toward front leg) (one 15# DB)
- Flying frog (stand holding a light DB in each hand, squat while reaching DBs to tap mat between legs and when you stand, reach arms/DBs overhead, squat again tapping DBs to mat and when you stand, extend both arms/DBs straight out to sides) (5# DBs)
For more info on Heather Robertson’s workouts and other (free) streaming workouts I’ve sampled and reviewed, check out my Streaming page.