That title is quite a mouthful but it is also what piqued my curiosity. I do get bored easily–this blog is proof! I apparently need 100s of different workouts to keep things interesting. The HAS in HASfit stands for “Heart and Soul.” The workout is lead by Coach Kozak and Claudia. They have over 1000 free workouts and fitness programs. They also have a website HASfit.com. It’s a great website to get an idea of what kind of workouts they offer–low impact, beginner, high intensity, muscle building and more. They also have diet plans for weight loss and building muscle. And all of this is free!
In this workout they show 2 levels. Coach Kozak does the intermediate/advanced level of the exercise and Claudia does the beginner levels. There is no warm up but they show a link that you can click on (if you are doing this workout on your computer that is–doesn’t work that way on my AppleTV) that has a 6 minute warm up. The intro that gives all of this info is 45 seconds long. The actual workout is 35 minutes long.
This is a great little metabolic workout. Does it deserve the acronym HIIT in the title? No. I didn’t feel it was that intense and I followed Coach Kozak doing the more advanced moves. Nevertheless, it is a fun workout that does keep moving and changing–so you won’t get bored! You do each exercise for approx. one minute. There are no recoveries between exercises except for the few seconds it takes Coach Kozak to tell you whether or not you need dumbbells and to briefly explain the next exercise. So it moves at a fast clip. I did view this in advance so I had a chart with the weights I would use in front of me. Coach Kozak and Claudia are each using one set of weights. I needed more than that to make this work challenging.
The workout has a timer in the top right hand corner of the screen counting down the 35 minutes. There is also a calorie counter, estimating how many calories you will burn. At the end of the 35 minutes it projects you burned between 292 and 585 calories. I didn’t burn that much in 51 minutes! I did Coach Kozak’s 6 minute warm up and then I did a 10 minute Popsugar stretch afterward. According to my Fitbit I burned 280 calories in the 51 minutes it took to do that. But of course, how many calories you burn all depends on your own size and fitness level.
Listed below are the exercises and the weight I used for each. Here is the link for this YouTube workout and here is the link to the 6 minute warm up.
- Dumbbell swing (kettlebell swing w/ a dumbbell) (one 20# DB)
- Tricep kickback in bear plank (one 10# DB)
- Sumo deadlift, bicep curl at the bottom and overhead press at top (15# DBs)
- Shot put press (start w/ one DB at shoulder, legs in split stance; lunge down so knee taps floor, stand and pivot to the other side and do overhead press) (one 10# DB)
- 180 jump squats (do a deep squat, placing one hand on the floor while twisting other hand to ceiling, stand and jump; alternate sides)
- Battle rope dumbbells (just like it sounds, wave DBs like you are waving battle ropes) (8# DBs)
- Side lunge w/ bicep curl (15# DBs)
- Wood chops (one 12# DB)
- Halos (rotate one DB around head) (one 12# DB)
- Alternating reverse lunges w/ bicep curls (12# DBs)
- High plank DB transfer (in straight arm plank, place one DB outside of one hand, reach under under, grab DB and place on other side; keep transferring DB from side to side) (one 12# DBs)
- Mountain climbers
- Bent over row + reverse fly (12# DBs)
- Single leg wall squat
- Chest fly while in bent leg boat pose (10# DBs)
- One arm snatch w/ jump squat (15# DBs)
- Goblet drop squat (jump squat w/ a DB) (one 15# DB)
- Rotational chop (hold one DB on both hands straight out in front of you, legs in lunge; pivot from side to side, keeping DB straight in front of you the entire time) (one 10# DB)
- Dive bomber push ups
- Alternating reverse lunges while never coming out of low squat between lunges
- Split jack w/ bicep curl (10# DBs)
- Renegade row but at top of row, open arm straight out side, bring back to side of body and lower (7# DBs)
- Similar to a kettlebell swing but you are dropping into deep squat then throw/power DB overhead (one 15# DB)
- One arm bicep curl into overhead press while in crab; alternate sides (10# DBs)
- High knee run
- Lay on back and scissor straight legs
- Get into elbow plank and alternate bringing knee to same side elbow on outside of body
- Full sit ups
- In elbow plank, rotate hips side to side, tapping hip on ground
- Hollow body hold
For more info on HASfit and other (free) streaming workouts I’ve sampled and reviewed, check out my Streaming page.