Cardio Sculpt is not a cardio workout but a metabolic strength training workout. So it is a fast paced circuit workout where one exercises flows into the next with little to no rest. That is the cardio/metabolic factor. For only 20 minutes, this was a great little workout. I used it in combination w/ Jessica‘s 10 minute Cardio + Strength Mash Up for a 30 minute (total time) metabolic strength training workout.
Though I would never use this workout as my strength training workout, I do have to say that this is a nice little total body workout crammed into 20 minutes. So if you only have 20 minutes, this workout will hit every muscle in your body and give you some cardio, too. Just choose the right weights so that you actually work your muscles. I didn’t even try to lift heavy because I was using these two workouts together as my doubles workout of the day, which is usually a cardio workout. I say that, but you also cannot lift heavy in this workout. The pace is too fast for that. So it takes at least one run through to determine the appropriate weight to use to get the best workout possible. And if you are using this as a cardio workout (like me), you can be more conservative with your weights–but they at least need to be heavy enough to increase your heart rate.
Cardio Sculpt is 21 minutes long; 3:30 minute warm up and 30 second stretch. Equipment: a set of light and a set of heavy dumbbells. Jessica uses 5 and 10 pound dumbbells.
- Squat + bicep curl + overhead press (10# DBs)
- Pulsing lunge w/ alternating/simultaneous bicep curls (10# DBs)
- Deadlift row: hinge forward and do one back row (single leg deadrow); hold hinged over and finish w/ 8 rows (Jessica uses 10# DBs; I used 15# DBs)
- Repeat 1-3 (2 & 3 on other leg)
- Overhead tricep extension while alternating knee raises (Jessica uses one 10# DB; I used one 15# DB)
- Side lunge w/ a wood chop down past working knee, bring DB to opposite shoulder at top of lunge (one 10# DB)
- Repeat 5 & 6 (6 on other side of body)
- Front raises w/ alternating toe taps to back (optional–hip extension instead of toe tap) (Jessica uses 5# DBs, I used 6# DBs)
- Arnold press in split stance (Jessica calls it a corkscrew press) (Jessica uses 5# DBs; I used 10# DBs)
- Hinge forward and do tricep kickbacks while kicking one leg back (Jessica uses 5# DBs; I used 8# DBs)
- Repeat 8-10
- Push ups (Jessica does them on her knees)
- Lay on stomach, hands beside body and thumbs pointed to ceiling–raise and lower head/chest/arms and legs
- Repeat 12 & 13
- Lay on back, knees bent and feet on floor, raise head/shoulders and reach both arms to outside of one leg and pulse; changes to alternating sides
- Reverse crunch (bringing knees into chest, raising hips)
- Bridge pose
For more info on JessicaSmithTV and other (free) streaming workouts I’ve sampled and reviewed, check out my Streaming page.
One thought on “JessicaSmithTV: Cardio Sculpt”