Weight Loss Cardio Sculpt isn’t a cardio workout. Jessica says that the point of the title is to understand that cardio burns calories in the moment but building muscle burns calories all of the time. This is a metabolic circuit workout. With the right weights, this workout is intense enough to give you a cardio workout, too–that is the metabolic factor. I found this to be an excellent little total body metabolic strength workout. I especially liked the back focus. Many trainers (IMHO) do not spend enough time working the back but Jessica always give the back plenty of attention.
Peanut was present for this workout in the beginning and being very uncooperative, wanting to eat Jessica’s fitness mat. When Jessica told Peanut to stop she waddled away to sulk. But then–a new dog appeared! Yes! A golden lab–Megan! This is the first time I have seen Megan in one of Jessica’s workouts but she was present for the remainder of it. She is very pretty!
Weight Loss Cardio Sculpt is 33 minutes long; 6 minute warm up and 1 minute stretch. Equipment: at least 2 sets of dumbbells, one heavier and one lighter (Jessica is using 5 and 10 pound dumbbells).
- Stationary lunge, lowering DBs down to ankles and when you straighten leg do a back row (Jessica uses 10# DBs, I used 15# DBs)
- Arnold press (Jessica calls them Corkscrew press) (Jessica uses 10# DBs, I used 12# DBs)
- Repeat #1 on other side of body
- Repeat #2
- Step knees (alternate knees) w/ bicep curls (Jessica uses 5# DBs, I used 10# DBs)
- Reverse curls while tapping toe side to side in front of body (Jessica uses 5# DBs, I used 10# DBs)
- Tricep kickbacks w/ torso leaned forward + raise and lower straight leg to side (Jessica uses 5# DBs, I used 8# DBs)
- Wood chops w/ narrow squats (Jessica uses 5# DBs, I used 8# DBs)
- Repeat #6-8
- Bent over wide row (legs are wide and straight, so deadrow), stand and press DBs/straight arms behind back (Jessica uses 5# DBs, I used 12# DBs)
- In elbow plank w/ hands clasped, shift forward and back while also lowering torso (sort of like an elbow push up)
- Straight arm side plank, holding DB straight to ceiling, raise top leg while bending elbow and lowering DB to shoulder (Jessica uses one 5# DB, I used one 8# DB)
- Lay on stomach and raise and lower chest and legs; changes to opening and close arms and legs while keeping chest/legs raised
- Repeat #11-13
- Lay on back, legs raised and knees bent and do alternating chest press; add bicycle legs (Jessica uses 10# DBs, I used 20# DBs)
- Still laying on back, legs extended straight on floor and alternate raising shoulder/straight arm toward ceiling (Jessica uses 10# DBs, I used 20# DBs)
- Bent over wide row (legs are wide and straight, so deadrow) (Jessica uses 5# DBs, I used 12# DBs)
- Repeat #15; changes to double arm chest press while pressing both legs in and out
- Repeat #16