No Equipment Arm Toning Workout is a body weight upper body strength workout from Heather Robertson. What a cool little workout! You can use this anyway you want but I used it this morning as a warm up before doing an intense upper body workout by Caroline Girvan and it was perfect for that. In fact, since none of Caroline’s workouts include warm ups, this will be my new warm up before I do any of her upper body workouts. You do not use any dumbbells for this workout. It starts pretty easy then progresses into some more challenging exercises. But nothing super challenging. This really is perfect for a warm up.
This work is done interval style. Each exercise is done for 30 seconds and you get no rest between exercises. There is a timer in the lower right hand corner of the screen counting down your interval time. When there is 10 seconds left of the exercise, a video appears in the upper right hand corner of the screen previewing the next exercise. This is useful for the standing exercises but kind of irritating for the plank/mat based exercises since you need to crane your neck to see whats next. I understand Heather is packing a lot into 10 minutes and I appreciate that but I don’t know how you are expected to see the preview while also continuing the exercise.
No Equipment Arm Toning Workout is 10:53 minutes; no warm up and 45 second stretch. Equipment: fitness mat.
- Prayer pulses (palms and forearms are pressed together in front of body, push arms upward)
- Small circles (arms are extended to sides in a T making small circles)
- Pull & squeeze (start with arms in goal post, push arms overhead, pull them back down to goalpost then bring bent arms together in front of you)
- Inchworm push & tap (stand at end of mat, hinge forward and walk hands out to plank, do one push up, tap shoulders with opposite hand once each side, walk hands back to feet, stand and reach arms overhead)
- Super V squeeze (lay on stomach with arms extended in front of you, raise arms and legs in superman, hold and pull elbows behind back, push arms in front of you again then lower hands/legs)
- Plank & reach (in straight arm plank, raise one arm straight in front of you to shoulder level, alternate arms)
- Diamond push ups (tricep push ups, hands are together under body so thumb and finger form a diamond)
- Side plank (in straight arm side plank, raise top arm to ceiling then lower fingers to mat in front of you, raise arm overhead again then pull elbow back behind you)
- Repeat #8 on other side of body
- Up & down dog (flow between down dog and up dog)
- Repeat #1-5
- Repeat #7-10