Chest and Triceps Workout | Intense Upper Body is Day 8 In Caroline Girvan‘s Beastmode series. This workout was brutal. By the halfway point my arms were trembling and by the end I was struggling with the cobra push ups! The finisher? My form was $hit. I fear the DOMS will be brutal. I actually had chest DOMS yesterday from Saturday’s workout (Beastmode Day 4 Full Body Workout). It was gone this morning but it will probably return after this morning’s workout. This was an excellent and intense upper body strength workout. I even felt my biceps being worked hard in this workout. Since this workout has no warm up, I used Heather Robertson‘s No Equipment Arm Toning Workout as my warm up and a nice 5 minute upper body stretch afterward since Caroline’s stretch is so brief. My arms and chest really needed something extra.
All of the exercises workout is done interval style: 40 seconds of work followed by 20 seconds of rest. There is a timer in the upper left hand side of the screen counting down your intervals and recoveries. During the recovery Caroline previews the next exercise. There is also a little bar at the bottom of the screen that counts down the entire workout time as a percentage.
Chest and Triceps Workout | Intense Upper Body is 40:56 minutes; 45 second intro, no warm up and 1:30 minute stretch. Equipment: dumbbells, a chair and a fitness mat. Caroline is using 17.5kg/38.6 pounds and 9kg/19.8 pounds dumbbells. The weights listed below are what I used. I also used my weight bench for all of the laying down exercises and the tricep dips.
- Chest press (22.5# DBs first 3 sets, 20# DBs the last set)
- Repeat #1 three more times
- Chest flys (18# DBs)
- Repeat #3 three more times
- Push ups
- Repeat #5 three more times
- Diamond press (lay on mat, two DBs pressed together over chest, do narrow chest press with DBs pressed together) (16.5# DBs first 2 sets, 15# DBs last 2 sets)
- Repeat #7 three more times
- Tricep dips
- Repeat #9 three more times
- Tricep press (narrow chest press) (15# DBs)
- Repeat #11 three more times
- Tricep push up
- Repeat #13 three more times
- Lying overhead tricep extension (lay on back, holding one DB on both hands, unlike traditional lying tricep extensions, arms are not straight from shoulder to elbow, arms are extended past head and arms from shoulder to elbow are at a 45 degree angle, from this starting position, bend elbows lowering DB closer to floor then raise DB–it is a small movement) (one 15# DB)
- Repeat #15 three more times
- Diamond cobra push up (lay on stomach on mat, hands are on mat beneath ribs and together so fingers and thumbs form a diamond, do push ups cobra-style, thighs remaining on mat)
- Repeat #17 three more times
- Deadstop push ups (do full push ups, but lower entire body all the way to mat, raise hands off mat briefly, keeping body straight from feet to shoulders when pushing up)
- (no rest/recovery) Deadstop tricep push up (the same as #19 but hands are closer together under shoulders)