HIIT with Weights Workout // Total Body Burn is an awesome cardio + strength workout from Heather Robertson. I absolutely loved this workout! It was fun and challenging and gave me an excellent workout. It is full of unique compound moves. It isn’t quite total body though. Almost, but the back muscles do not get much work. But other than that Heather hits everything else. I would never use this as my strength workout though. Today I used it as more of a metabolic conditioning workout. It was awesome for that. I burned 250 calories. It was a very nice little doubles workout.
There are 3 circuits in this workout. Each circuit contains 5 exercises and is done twice before moving on to the next circuit. The exercises are all done interval style: 40 seconds of work followed by 20 seconds of recovery. There is a timer in the lower right hand corner of the screen counting down your intervals and recoveries. During the recoveries Heather previews the next exercise.
HIIT with Weights Workout // Total Body Burn is 36:31 minutes; 3 minute warm up and 2 minute stretch. Equipment: dumbbells and fitness mat. Heather does not reveal the weight of her dumbbells but they appear very light, maybe 5 pounds.
- Lunge combo (alternating reverse lunges, also alternate straight arm front raises with straight arm side raises, side and front raises are done at bottom of lunge) (5# DBs)
- Squat & heel tap (one squat, reaching both arms in front of you + one jump squat, clicking heels together when in the air, and landing in squat)
- Dancing bear plank (in bear plank (on hands/DBs and toes with knees bent and knees hovering a few inches off floor) extend one arm/DB in front of you to shoulder level while also extending opposite leg behind you, toes tapping the floor, alternate sides) (5# DBs)
- Side lunge & curl (alternating stationary side lunges, pause when changing sides and do one double arm hammer curl) (15# DBs)
- Boxer jacks (jumping jack the legs with alternating front punches)
- Repeat #1-5
30 second rest
- Curtsy & side lunge (holding DBs at shoulders do one side lunge straight into a curtsy/rear cross-back lunge, alternate sides) (15# DBs)
- Sit up & press (lay on mat with knees bent and feet on mat, arms are straight, holding DBs extended over your head, sit up while bringing straight arms in front of you and at top of sit up, raise straight arms/DBs overhead) (5# DBs)
- Pop squat (squat jacks, reaching one hand to floor when in squat)
- Push up & kickback (in straight arm plank holding a DB in each hand, do one tricep push up + one tricep kickback, alternate arms with a push up between each kickback) (10# DBs)
- Stand up & hop (in high kneeling with hands clasped in front of chest, step one foot forward into kneeling lunge, step the other foot forward so you are in squat, do one squat jump the reverse the motion, stepping one foot back so you are in kneeling lunge then step the other foot back so you are back in high kneeling, alternate lead legs)
- Repeat #1 -5
30 second rest
- Deadlift & squat (one straight leg deadlift + one squat) (25# DBs)
- Bridge & press (lay on back, knees bent and feet on mat close to glutes, do double arm skull crushers, raising hips into bridge when raising DBs) (9# DBs)
- Push press (hold DBs at chest level with palms facing you, squat and at top of squat do one double arm overhead press keeping palms facing you) (15# DBs)
- One arm cross jack (stand with legs straight and wide, a DB in each hand, hinge forward reaching one DB toward opposite foot, raise torso and do a single arm overhead press while also jacking the legs, alternate sides) (9# DBs)
- Back and forth inchworm (start standing, hinge forward, walk hands out until you are in straight arm plank, do one push up, jump feet to hands, stand and jump, hinge forward, place hands on mat, jump feet out to plank, walk hands back to feet, stand and jump)
- Repeat #1-5
For more info on Heather Robertson’s workouts and other (free) streaming workouts I’ve sampled and reviewed, check out my Streaming page.
One thought on “HIIT with Weights Workout // Total Body Burn”
I did this one today. What another great metabolic workout! I used mostly 8/10/12 lb and that was plenty, especially by the 3rd circuit. ☺️
I tacked on Caroline’s 500 rep arm challenge. 25 push-ups, 25 tricep dips, 25 bicep curls, 25 shoulder presses and 25 lateral raises — 4 rounds. I used my blue 6ft band throughout (medium). Caroline used 8kg dumbbells for first 2 rounds then a yellow band for last 2. Excellent workout!
LikeLiked by 1 person