EPIC Abs & Glutes is Day 3 in Caroline Girvan‘s EPIC III program. Caroline says in her write up under the video that this is one of the most intense glute workouts she has ever shared. She also says during the intro that it is her favorite glute workout. Having now done this workout this morning? It was brutal. Brutal. Sometimes I wonder what possesses me to torture myself like this! Oh, yeah! Great glutes! That’s why I do it. I was nervous about this workout for several reasons. The first reason is that circuit 1 is 9 minutes of core work with zero breaks. That didn’t end up being as unpleasant as I expected. The 3 exercises are varied enough that it wasn’t killer. It did work my abs well but that wasn’t the brutal part. The brutal part of this workout is circuit 2, the hip thrusts. I knew it would be super challenging after previewing this workout and it did not disappoint. Circuit 2 fried my glutes and hamstrings. The 3rd and final circuit should not have been brutal… except that Caroline just finished tearing your up your glutes and hamstrings so circuit 3 just continued to finish them off. Caroline clearly agreed because she had to keep taking personal breaks during circuit 3 to thaw her own legs out. I added a 10 minute lower body stretch to the end of this workout and my legs were so fatigued from this workout that the first half of the stretch felt like more work!
This workout consists of 3 circuits; one core circuit and two glute circuits. For the first core circuit, each exercise is done for 60 seconds with no rest/recoveries. When there is about 10 seconds left of an exercise, a video appears in the upper right hand corner, previewing the next exercise. For the two glute circuits, each exercise is done for 50 seconds followed by 10 seconds of recovery. Caroline previews the next exercise during the recovery. There is a timer in the upper left hand side of the screen counting down your intervals. There is also a little bar at the bottom of the screen that counts down the entire workout time as a percentage.
EPIC Abs & Glutes is 46:27 minutes; 2:40 minute intro, no warm up and 3:30 minute stretch. Equipment: dumbbells, booty band/resistance loop, a chair or bench and a fitness mat. Optional is a towel to protect your hips. Caroline is using one 25kg/55 pound dumbbell. I used one 40 pound dumbbell for the hip thrusts and one 50 pound dumbbell for the sumo deadlifts. I also used my weight bench for the hip thrusts.
Circuit 1: (each exercise is done for 60 seconds, no recoveries)
- Hollow bicycle crunch (lay on mat, hands behind head and legs extended straight but raised a few inches off the floor, from this position bring one knee into chest and tap with opposite elbow, alternate sides)
- Tuck (reverse crunch, lay on back, legs raised with knees bent at 90 degrees, bringing knees into chest raising hips)
- 3 point crunch (lay on back, knees bent and feet on floor, crunch upper body and tap hands to knees then to heels then to knees again then lower head/shoulders to floor)
- Repeat #1-3 two more times
18 second rest (this isn’t really a rest since you need to quickly get into position for Circuit 2)
Circuit 2: (50/10 intervals) (I used one 40# DB)
- Hip thrusts with band (booty band is around thighs, lean back against your bench or chair, one heavy DB on hips, knees bent and open so there is tension on band, and feet on floor, raise and lower hips)
- 1/2 rep hip thrusts (same starting position as #1, raise hips but only lower halfway)
- Hamstring thrust (same basic exercise as #1, the only difference is you step your feet out farther and push into floor with heels)
- Hamstring hold (same position as #3 but hold isometrically at top of hip lift)
- Band only hip thrusts (set DB aside and repeat #1 w/out DB)
- Repeat #1-5 two more times
Circuit 3: (remove booty band) (I used one 50# DB)
- Sumo deadlift squat (hinge torso forward deadlift style while doing sumo squats)
- 1/2 rep sumo deadlift squat (lower to bottom of sumo deadlift but only raise halfway)
- Body weight 1/2 reps (repeat #2 w/out DB)
- Banded walk (put band around thighs above knees, lateral walks; Caroline walks 6-7 steps to each side)
- Banded 1/2 rep squats (band is still around thighs, open legs wide enough so there is tension on band and lower to bottom of squat but only lift halfway)
- Repeat #1-5 two more times