Upper Body Supersets Workout is Day 42 in Heather Robertson‘s 12 Week Program. This is another solid upper body strength workout. Heather manages to hit every muscle group in your upper body but I felt like the triceps and shoulders get the bulk of the work and the back gets the least of it. For that reason I used Caroline Girvan‘s 20 Minute Dumbbells Back and Bicep Workout as a finisher, which did an excellent job rounding things out. Heather also throws in some metabolic exercises with an upper body focus to elevate the heart rate so you are burning more calories.
There are 8 supersets in this workout. Each superset is done 2 times before moving on to the next superset. The exercises are each done for 40 seconds of work followed by 20 seconds of recovery. There is a timer in the lower right hand corner of the screen counting down your intervals and recoveries. During the recoveries Heather previews the next exercise. For some of the moves that have impact, Heather shows a low impact variation.
Upper Body Supersets Workout is 43:00 minutes; 4 minute warm up and 5:45 minute stretch. Equipment: dumbbells and fitness mat. Heather is using 5, 10 and 15 pound dumbbells. The weights listed below are what I used.
- Negative bicep curls (raise DBs normal speed, lower slowly) (15# DBs)
- Bicep burn out (fast alternating bicep curls using light DBs) (5# DBs)
- Repeat #1 & 2
- Triple press shoulders (stand with DBs at shoulders, push one DB overhead, push other DB overhead, lower both DBs at the same time) (16.5# DBs)
- Weighted jacks (jack the legs while arms do overhead press) (5# DBs)
- Repeat #4 & 5
- Tricep press (overhead tricep extensions/French press) (25# DBs)
- Double arm tricep kickbacks (13# DBs)
- Repeat #7 & 8
- Chest flys (18# DBs)
- T-push ups (one push up then rotate into side plank, reaching top arm to ceiling, alternate sides with one push up between each side plank)
- Repeat #10 & 11
- 30 second rest
- Plank row and press (in straight arm plank with a DB in each hand, do one renegade row each arm, jump feet into hands, stand and do an overhead press) (18# DBs)
- Super human (supermans)
- Repeat #14 & 15
- L-raises (one arm does a straight arm front raise while the other arm is doing a straight arm side raise at the same time, alternate arms) (8# DBs)
- Ski swing (holding a DB in each hand, squat while swinging DBs down behind you and when you stand, swing DBs forward to shoulder level) (8# DBs)
- Repeat #17 & 18
- Skull crushers (lay on back with knees bent and feet on mat close to glutes, raise hips into bridge and hold isometrically while doing skull crushers) (11# DBs)
- Tricep push ups
- Repeat #20 & 21
- Overhead & front flys (holding a DB in each hand, arms are extended to sides in a T, raise straight arms overhead, lower them back to a T then do a standing chest fly) (5# DBs)
- Burpee & press (with a DB in each hand, place DBs on floor and jump feet back to plank, jump feet back to hands, stand and do an overhead press) (16.5# DBs)
- Repeat #23 & 24
For more info on Heather Robertson’s workouts and other (free) streaming workouts I’ve sampled and reviewed, check out my Streaming page.
One thought on “Upper Body Supersets Workout // Day 42 HR12WEEK 2.0”
Today I did Iron Day 30 arms/abs as my primary workout. I just can’t say enough about this series and the way it is structured. This was another stellar workout. She set it up so that tris were first, then abs then bis. You do a lot of dips in this one. At the end her doggies come out. It looks like her beagle has a dachshund buddy now … soooo cute!
I ended with a 10 min quad workout (https://youtu.be/o5fXYaJ3owA) to round things out.