Lower Body Supersets Workout is Day 48 in Heather Robertson‘s 12 Week Program. Another tough metabolic lower body workout. It is a cardio + strength workout and most of the cardio intervals double as contrast training. All that means is you pair a strength exercise (usually one using dumbbells or some other type of resistance) with a power exercise (usually a plyometric exercise) that mimics the strength exercise or uses the same muscle groups. I am still recovering from bronchitis but last night was the first night in 2 weeks I did not have middle of the night coughing fits. Still, the cardio in this workout kicked my butt but I did it all with no modifications this morning. There was still some coughing but not much. I got a great lower body strength workout. There was a lot of redundancy from Heather’s Day 43 Lower Body Strength Workout, which I did on Wednesday. In fact, both workouts contain 8 of the same exercises.
There are 8 supersets in this workout. Each superset is done 2 times before moving on to the next superset. The exercises are all done interval style: 40 seconds of work followed by 20 seconds of recovery. There is a timer in the lower right hand corner of the screen counting down the intervals and recoveries. During the recovery Heather previews the next exercise. Heather shows a low impact variation for some of the exercises that have impact.
Lower Body Supersets Workout is 42:15 minutes; 3:30 minute warm up and 5:30 minute stretch. Equipment: dumbbells and fitness mat. Heather is using 10, 15 and 25 pound dumbbells. The weights below are what I used.
- Alternating reverse lunges (18# DBs)
- Scissor squat hops (4 scissor runs + one jump squat)
- Repeat #1 & 2
- Squat & deadlift (holding one DB in both hands, alternate one deadlift w/ one squat; I used 2 DBs) (25# DBs)
- Jump squat
- Repeat #4 & 5
- Glute bridge (lay on mat, knees bent and feet on mat close to glutes, one heavy DB on hips, raise and lower hips) (one 40# DB)
- Bridge pulses (same position as #7 but set DB aside, raise hips to top of bridge and pulse hips upward)
- Repeat #7 & 8
- In & out squat (step out squats holding one DB goblet style, alternate sides with one narrow squat between each side) (one 30# DB)
- In & out hops (squat jacks)
- Repeat #10 & 11
- 30 second rest
- Deadlift & lunge (alternate one deadlift with one reverse lunge, alternate legs when lunging) (18# DBs)
- Pop lunges (hop back into reverse lunge then hop feet together, alternate sides when lunging)
- Repeat #14 & 15
- Sumo squat (one 50# DB)
- Power jacks (jumping jacks but when legs are wide, land in sumo squat)
- Repeat #17 & 18
- Stand ups (start in high kneeling on mat holding one DB on each shoulder, step forward into kneeling lunge with one foot, step the other foot forward so you are in squat, straighten/stand, then lower back into squat and step one foot back into kneeling lunge then step other foot back so you are back in starting position of high kneeling, alternate lead leg) (15# DBs)
- Stand up & hop (start in high kneeling on mat with hands behind head, step forward into kneeling lunge with one foot, step the other foot forward so you are in squat, jump, landing in squat and step one foot back into kneeling lunge then step other foot back so you are back in starting position of high kneeling, alternate lead leg)
- Repeat #20 & 21
- Goblet squat (one 40# DB)
- Squat & hop (hold one DB by bell, squat and place one end of DB on mat, jump and land in squat, grab bell of DB and stand) (one 40# DB)
- Repeat #23 & 24
For more info on Heather Robertson’s workouts and other (free) streaming workouts I’ve sampled and reviewed, check out my Streaming page.
One thought on “Lower Body Supersets Workout // Day 48 HR12WEEK 2.0”
Happy Friday to you and so glad to hear you are feeling better!
Today I did Iron Day 29 full body hypertrophy. This was a very comprehensive all-combo workout that definitely did the job to leave all my muscles well worked. That said, because it is only 6 exercises (1 UB and 1 LB done 3 times with 3 circuits total), I found it to be a little repetitious. She was lifting very heavy – 33lb for shoulder presses! – which I definitely could not do. But I did one round with 25lb and the remaining 2 with 22lb. I think I used 35lb for deads and pullovers.
I ended it with an awesome 30 min cardio HiiT from nobadaddiction and finished with a back yoga routine from sarabeth since I pulled my right lat sneezing of all things!