30 Min Full Body Workout – Dumbbell Circuits is Day 4 in Caroline Girvan‘s Iron Series. This was an excellent and intense metabolic full body workout. I loved the structure of this workout. I not only like the way order she put the exercises in, but I really liked and appreciated the longer recovery between intervals. By the finisher, I was definitely finished! Caroline gives you a longer than usual stretch at the end which was very nice. Since Caroline’s Iron Series workouts are all so short, I will be adding additional finishers to the end of the majority of them (even if I am already finished!) to round out my hour. This morning I used one of Heather Robertson‘s Daily 10 workouts: Low Impact HIIT. That workout hits the shoulders hard–or at least it felt like it did after doing this workout!
This workout has one circuit of 9 exercises that is done 3 times. All of the exercises in this workout are done interval style: 40 seconds of work followed by 20 seconds of rest. Between each circuit you get 40 seconds of rest. There is a timer in the upper left hand side of the screen counting down your intervals and recoveries. During the recovery Caroline previews the next exercise. There is also a little bar at the bottom of the screen that counts down the entire workout time as a percentage.
30 Min Full Body Workout – Dumbbell Circuits is 40:25 minutes; 3 minute intro, no warm up and 5:45 minute stretch. Equipment: dumbbells, yoga block and fitness mat. Caroline is using 17.5kg/38.6 pound and 10kg/22 pound dumbbells. The weights listed below are what I used.
- Double arm bent over row (30# DBs)
- Static/stationary lunge (18# DBs)
- Repeat #2 on other side of body
- RDL (Romanian deadlift) (35# DBs)
- Chest press (22.5# DBs)
- Push press (overhead press with arms in goal post, use legs to assist in pushing DBs overhead explosively/with power then lower DBs slowly) (16.5# DBs)
- Heel elevated squat (heels are elevated on yoga block, DBs are held at shoulders) (25# DBs)
- Rear step lunge (reverse lunges) (18# DBs)
- Repeat #8 on other side of body
- 40 second rest
- Repeat #1-10 two more times
Finisher: (2 minutes, no rests/recoveries)
- Maker for 40 seconds (start in plank, do one renegade row each arm, jump feet into DBs so you are in squat, do a double arm bicep curl, stand w/ DBs at shoulders, do one overhead press, squat and place DBs on the floor, jump feet back to plank and do one push up) (18# DBs)
- Alternating reverse lunges for 20 seconds (18# DBs)
- Repeat #1 & 2