Iron Series 30 Min Shoulders & Triceps is Day 7 in Caroline Girvan‘s Iron Series. I am loving the Iron Series! Every time I approach one of these workouts, I try to lift heavier on at least one (maybe more) exercise. I feel like the longer rest/recoveries that she gives you in this series really make that possible. Today I lifted heavier on several of the exercises. It may have only been one pound heavier, but it was an increase (for me) nonetheless. Another excellent upper body workout. My shoulders and triceps feel well worked and pumped. I used one of Heather Robertson‘s Daily 10 workouts to round out my hour and also give my back some work (Day 12).
All of the exercises in this workout are done interval style: 60 seconds of work followed by 30 seconds of rest. There is a timer in the upper left hand side of the screen counting down your intervals and recoveries. During the recovery Caroline previews the next exercise. There is also a little bar at the bottom of the screen that counts down the entire workout time as a percentage.
Iron Series 30 Min Shoulders & Triceps is 34:06 minutes; 1:55 minute intro, no warm up and 2 minute stretch. Equipment: dumbbells, a chair and fitness mat. Caroline is using 12.5kg/27.6 pound and 8kg/17.6 pound dumbbells. The weights listed below are what I used.
- Seated shoulder press (arms are in goal post) (18# DBs)
- Repeat #1
- Seated Arnold press (16.5# DBs)
- Repeat #3
- Face pulls (similar to a bent over row, at bottom of move palms are facing behind you, as you pull up raising DBs to shoulder level, rotate palms so they are facing each other/your face–Caroline’s Tip says “bring thumbs to ears”) (15# DBs)
- Repeat #5
- Alternating lateral raises (10# DBs)
- Repeat #7
- Upright rows (12# DBs)
- Repeat #9
- Tate press (lay on back, knees bent and feet in floor, DBs are extended to ceiling with palms facing feet/legs, bend elbows bringing ends of DBs to chest then straighten arms again) (12# DBs)
- Repeat #11
- Skull crushers (12# DBs)
- Repeat #13 (11# DBs)
- Shoulder crushers (similar to a tricep press but rather than keeping DBs level, when you lower the DBs, angle them so one end of DBs tap shoulders) (11# DBs)
- Repeat #15
- Overhead extension (still laying on back, hold one DB in both hands, extend arms overhead on an angle, keep arms stationary from shoulders to elbows, bending the elbows, raise and lower the DB) (one 18# DB)
- Repeat #17
Finisher: (2 minutes, no rest/recoveries)
- Lateral raise for 60 seconds (9# DBs)
- Partial lateral raise for 60 seconds (only raise arms halfway) (9# DBs)