Low Impact, No Repeats HIIT // No Jumping Workout is an interesting workout from Heather Robertson. Interesting because she is apparently trying something new with interval times. She gives you 30 seconds of rest in this workout. She has one other workout she uploaded recently (a lower body workout) that also has 30 second recoveries (I will be doing that one very soon) but other than that, I am not aware of her ever giving such long recoveries. In this workout it seemed a little too much recovery time, at least for me on a normal day. This is not an advanced workout so I personally do not need such long recoveries. However, I do think workouts like this serve a purpose. First, they are great for people new to Heather and metabolic workouts. A workout like this is a great way to ease into these types of workouts before jumping into her other workouts with shorter recoveries (and longer intervals). And second, they are perfect for any exerciser (regardless of your fitness level) who is having an off day but still wants to workout. I did this as a doubles workout (second workout of the day) and I actually didn’t feel like doing a second workout at the end of my work day. But when I previewed this and saw the interval times, I decided what the heck. And it was actually perfect. I didn’t feel like having my a$$ kicked. This gave me a nice little workout and I felt energized afterward. I really enjoyed it.
The exercises are all done interval style: 30 seconds of work followed by 30 seconds of recovery. There is a timer in the lower right hand corner of the screen counting down your intervals and recoveries. During the recoveries Heather previews your next exercise.
I thought because the interval times were short that I could lift heavier dumbbells for some of the exercises but many of the exercises are done too briskly to use heavier dumbbells. The dumbbells purpose in those moves is more to increase the intensity of the move. And some of the moves were clearly strength based moves. So it is an interesting mix.
Low Impact, No Repeats HIIT // No Jumping Workout is 24:58 minutes; 2 minute warm up and 2:15 minute stretch. Equipment: dumbbells and fitness mat. Heather is using 5 and 10 pound dumbbells. The weights listed below are what I used.
- Lunge & touch (holding a DB in each hand, do alternating reverse lunges, while in lunge, tap DBs to floor on either side of front foot, between each lunge do a hammer curl) (10# DBs)
- Step & drive (step one foot back while hinging torso forward then step leg forward and do a knee raise with other leg, arms do alternating hammer curls) (10# DBs)
- Repeat #2 on other side of body
- Single arm swings (holding a DB in each hand do alternating single arm kettlebell swings) (10# DBs)
- Cross & press (hold one DB in each hand, step one foot out to side, hinge torso forward while reaching one DB toward opposite foot, step feet together and do a double arm overhead press, alternate sides) (10# DBs)
- High knee twist (hold one DB in both hands, do alternating knee raises while rotating DB from hip to hip) (one 10# DB)
- Push ups
- Inchworm climbers (stand at end of mat, hinge forward and walk hands out to plank, do 2 mountain climbers (once each leg), walk hands back to feet, stand and raise arms overhead)
- Dolphin push up (in forearm/elbow plank, push hips back into dolphin pose then return to forearm/elbow plank)
- Crouching jack (holding one light DB in each hand, squat reaching DBs to ankles and when you stand, step one foot out to side while doing jumping jack arms, alternate sides with a squat between each side) (5# DBs)
- Squat toe taps (lower into a shallow squat with arms extended straight in front of you, remain in squat while tapping one foot out to side, alternate sides)
- Lunge & twist (hold one DB in both hands, do alternating reverse lunges, while in lunge, rotate DB to side of front leg) (one 15# DB)
- Plank & reach (in straight arm plank holding one DB in each hand, alternate reaching arm/DB in front of you to shoulder level) (5# DBs)
- Lay down push ups (alternate one push up with one superman)
- Plank & press up (start standing with a DB in each hand, place DBs on mat, step feet out to plank, step feet back into DBs, stand and do one double arm overhead press) (15# DBs)
- Straight leg bicycle (lay on back with hands behind head and legs extended straight to ceiling, lower one straight leg while bringing opposite elbow to knee of leg still extended to ceiling, alternate sides)
- Side lunge & raise (stand with legs wide holding one DB in one hand, do a stationary side lunge, reaching DB to opposite foot, when you stand, do a straight arm front raise, lifting DB overhead) (one 10# DB)
- Repeat #17 on other side of body
- Squat & toe touch (stand with hands behind head, squat and when you stand, do one straight leg front kick, reaching opposite hand to toe, alternate legs with a squat between each kick)
- Flying frog (standing holding a light DB in each hand, squat while reaching DBs to tap mat between legs and when you stand, reach arms/DBs overhead, squat again tapping DBs to mat and when you stand, extend both arms/DBs straight out to sides) (5# DBs)