#186 Oh My Glutes is an intense metabolic lower body strength workout. With a name like Oh My Glutes–how could I not sample this one? Glutes are my second favorite muscle group to work (back is my favorite) and this workout worked my glutes, along with the rest of my lower body, very well. I was working very hard during this workout and by the end, I was struggling to do the last few reps of one of the exercises (#22 below was really challenging me)! I got a great lower body workout and a great cardio workout. According to my FitBit I was in my peak heart rate 1/3 of the workout. So my heart rate kept spiking. This is not one of Cathe‘s workouts where you can lift heavy weights–at least not on most of the exercises. This is very fast paced and the reps are all done at a brisk pace. You can do Cathe’s live workouts by subscribing to her streaming site or purchasing the individual downloads. Here is a video clip of this workout.
Oh My Glutes is 56 minutes; 5 minute warm up and 3 minute stretch. Equipment: dumbbells and and a gliding device. I used the same weights as Cathe unless otherwise indicated below.
- Explosive side lunges (alternating side lunges reaching DB down toward foot when lunging, shuffle to change sides while pushing DB overhead) (Cathe is using one 10# DB)
- Side lunge into side leg raise back into side lunge, do all reps on one side before changing sides (when lunging, reach opposite hand toward foot and when doing side leg raise, push both arms overhead)
- Squat Toss (transfer one DB from hand to hand as you squat) (Cathe is using one 10# DB)
- Staying low, sumo squat with arms extended out to sides, side lunge reaching other arm toward stationary arm, squat in center, side lunge (other side) and reach other arm–hopping with each move
- Repeat #1-4
- Rowing lunges (alternating front lunges, rowing a DB to side of front leg when lunging) (Cathe is using one 10# DB)
- 4 alternating pivoting sumo squats + 4 alternating side sumo squats (Cathe is using one 15# DB)
- Side slide pick up lunge (with sliding device under one foot, slide leg out to side while squatting with stationary leg and set DB on ground, slide leg back in, slide leg back out and pick up DB then slide leg back in) (Cathe is using one 15# DB)
- Reverse slide back lunges, 16 reps each leg (Cathe is using 10# DBs)
- Repeat #6-9
- Sumo squats (holding a DB in each hand, squat and place one DB on floor, squat again and place the other DB on floor, squat again and pick up the first DB, squat again and pick up the second DB–keep repeating this sequence) (Cathe is using 15# DBs; I used 20# DBs)
- Squats (Cathe is using 15# DBs; I used 20# DBs)
- Deadlifts (Cathe is using 15# DBs; I used 20# DBs)
- Stationary pulsing lunges, first 3 pulses then 7 pulses then 15 pulses (Cathe is using 12# DBs)
- Repeat #11-14
- Single leg deadlift (Cathe is using one 15# DB; I used one 20# DB)
- Pulsing lunges, alternate legs (Cathe is using one 15# DB, pass DB to other hand when changing legs)
- Forward diagonal lunges, do all reps on one leg before changing legs (Cathe is using 12# DBs)
- Slide back warrior lunges (sliding device under one foot, slide back slowly while also hinging torso forward and reaching arms forward then slide leg back in, bringing torso back up straight)
- Repeat #16-19
- Forward lunge into front knee raise, 16 reps each leg the first time, 12 reps each leg when you repeat the circuit (Cathe is using 12# DBs)
- Side slide lunges, 6 fast reps + one slow rep, repeat this combo 3x (Cathe is using one 15# DB)
- Pulsing slide cross-back/curtsy lunges, first 7 pulses then 3 pulses then singles (Cathe is using 12# DBs)
- Hammer down knee smash (front lunge while hammering fist and forearm down then stand and do a knee lift, pulling arms down from overhead to knee as it raises)
- Repeat #21-22
- Cross-back/curtsy lunges, singles and pulses (Cathe is using one 15# DB)
- Repeat #24
2 thoughts on “Cathe Live: Oh My Glutes”
This one looks good! I enjoy doing legs too….except maybe the soreness for a few days after! So grateful for Cathe workouts during these crazy times! Helps to keep anxiety at bay and adds a rhythm to my day. Stay safe!
LikeLiked by 1 person
I agree–my daily exercise helps with my anxiety. And watching the news every day is making me very anxious.