I was very excited about this workout. I actually saw it on Heather Robertson‘s May rotation calendar so I was anxiously waiting for it to post. I obviously did not do it immediately but that is because my current rotation calendar is already stacked tight all the way into July. But I made sure I cleared a place for it–which brings me to this morning. Tight + Toned // Back & Triceps Workout is an excellent upper body strength workout that works the back and triceps nicely. Each circuit contains one metabolic exercise to get your heart rate elevated as well. I love working my back and my triceps so I really enjoyed this workout. I used a Caroline Girvan workout as a finisher: 15 Min Dumbbell Arm & Shoulder Workout. My triceps are obviously very well worked this morning!
There are 3 circuits in this workout. Each circuit contains 5 exercises. Each circuit is done twice before you move on to the next circuit. The exercises are all done interval style: 40 seconds of work followed by 20 seconds of rest. There is a timer in the lower right hand corner of the screen, counting down your intervals and recoveries. During the recovery Heather previews the next exercise.
Tight + Toned // Back & Triceps Workout is 37:20 minutes; 3 minute warm up and 2:45 minute stretch. Equipment: dumbbells and a fitness mat. Heather is using 5, 10 and 15 pound dumbbells. The weights listed below are what I used. I also used my weight bench for any exercises where you are laying on your back.
- Underhand row (double arm bent over row, palms face forward) (25# DBs)
- Skull crushers (12# DBs)
- Bent over rear flys (10# DBs)
- Tricep kickbacks (12# DBs)
- Plank row burpees (one DB in each hand, in straight arm plank, do one renegade row each arm, jump feet into hands, stand with a bicep curl into an overhead press) (18# DBs)
- Repeat #1-5
30 seconds rest
- Scapular squeeze (hold DBs with palms facing forward in front of thighs, raise arms out to sides in a T then pull elbows behind ribs) (5# DBs)
- Tate press (lay on back, arms extended to ceiling and open in a V, palms facing away from you, bend elbows bringing ends of DBs into chest) (12# DBs)
- Super tricep push up (alternate one superman with one tricep push up)
- Narrow & wide row (alternate one narrow row (arms close to sides) with one wide row (elbows out to sides)) (18# DBs)
- Stand up & press (start in high kneeling on mat holding one DB in both hands behind head (French press style), step forward with one foot into kneeling lunge, step other foot forward and stand, when standing, raise DB overhead, lower DB back behind head, step one foot back into kneeling lunge then step other foot back so you are back in high kneeling with DB behind head) (one 18# DB)
- Repeat #1-5
30 second rest
- Single arm overhead tricep press (one 12# DB)
- Repeat #1 on other arm
- Pullovers (lay back on mat, both legs are raised with knees bent at a 45 degree angle) (12# DBs)
- Alternating single arm rows (remain hinged forward, do one DB row, pass DB to other hand and repeat on other arm) (one 30# DB)
- Criss-cross jacks (both feet and arms are crossing)
- Repeat #1-5
For more info on Heather Robertson’s workouts and other (free) streaming workouts I’ve sampled and reviewed, check out my Streaming page.
2 thoughts on “Tight + Toned // Back & Triceps Workout”