Shoulders and Arms – Intense Upper Body Workout is day 2 in Caroline Girvan‘s Beastmode series. Another intense upper body workout. I am really loving Caroline’s Beastmode workouts. I feel like each targeted muscle group is so thoroughly worked. In this workout she starts with your shoulders then you move to your triceps and the workout ends with biceps. The finisher is shoulders. By the end of the workout my biceps felt very pumped! Even though I was working hard, I did feel like on some of the exercises I maybe could have lifted a little heavier. At least for the first or second set. These Beastmode workouts are great workouts to return to to increase your strength. I am putting together a rotation for myself where I return to some of my favorite workouts (Caroline, Heather Robertson and Naomi Joy) and most of the Beastmode workouts will appear several times.
All of the exercises in this workout are done interval style: 40 seconds of work followed by 20 seconds of rest. There is a timer in the upper left hand side of the screen counting down your intervals and recoveries. During the recovery Caroline previews the next exercise. There is also a little bar at the bottom of the screen that counts down the entire workout time as a percentage.
Shoulders and Arms – Intense Upper Body Workout is 39:49 minutes; 1:20 minute intro, no warm up and 1:30 minute stretch. Equipment: dumbbells and a chair. Caroline is using 12.5kg/27.5 pounds and 8kg/17.6 pounds dumbbells. The weights listed below are what I used.
- Seated Arnold press (22.5# DBs the first 2 sets, 20# DBs the last 2 sets)
- Repeat #1 three more times (22.5# DBs the first 2 sets, 20# DBs the last 2 sets)
- Alternating lateral raise (10# DBs)
- Repeat #3 three more times
- Partial lateral raises (raise halfway then lower) (10# DBs)
- Alternating frontal raises (10# DBs)
- Repeat #6 three more times
- Rear delt partial flies (hinge forward and raise DBs out to sides halfway then lower) (10# DBs)
- Repeat #8 three more times
- Skull crushers (13# DBs)
- Repeat #10 three more times
- Tricep push up
- Repeat #12 three more times
- Repeat #5
- Alternating hammer curls (18# Dbs)
- Repeat #15 three more times
- Rotational curls (DBs start in hammer curl position but as you raise them, rotate them so palms face you, reverse this motion when lowering) (18# DBs the first 2 sets, 16.5# DBs the last 3 sets)
- Repeat #17 four more times (18# DBs the first 2 sets, 16.5# DBs the last 3 sets)
Finisher: (60 seconds)
- Lateral raises for 30 seconds (10# DBs)
- Partial lateral raises for 30 seconds (10# DBs)