10 Minute Upper Body Workout is Day 1 in Heather Robertson‘s Daily10, which is a series of 10 minute workouts that she is uploading every day in the month of November. Since this is Day 1, the intro is Heather talking about her Daily 10 program. This is a great little upper body finisher workout, which is how I used this workout. I did Heather’s Full Body HIIT Workout // With Weights, which is not actually fully body. However, by using this fun little workout as a finisher, it helped to cover those missing muscle groups so that by the end of the two workouts, every muscle in my upper body was worked at some point. This is also a metabolic workout. Heather includes straight strength work, combo metabolic strength moves and cardio moves. So you are burning calories, too. As already mentioned, I used this as a finisher so I was already warmed up and my heart rate was already elevated; according to my FitBit I burned 100 calories in 10 minutes. Not bad!
10 Minute Upper Body Workout is 12:03 minutes; 1:35 minute intro, no warm up or stretch. Equipment: dumbbells and fitness mat. Heather is using 5 and 10 pound dumbbells. The weights listed below are what I used. The exercises are all done interval style: 40 seconds of work followed by 20 seconds of recovery. There is a timer in the lower right hand corner of the screen counting down your intervals and recoveries. During the recoveries Heather previews the next exercise.
- Inchworms & push ups (stand at end of mat, hinge forward and walk hands out to plank, do one push up, walk hands back to feet, stand and jump)
- 1-arm swing (alternating single arm dumbbell swings–with a DB in each hand, do kettlebell swings with DBs, swing both DBs between legs but only swing one arm up to shoulder level) (15# DBs)
- Plank & press (start in straight arm plank with one DB in one hand, rotate to side reaching arm/DB to ceiling, return to plank and place DB on mat, reach under body with other hand, grab DB and rotate to other side of body, reaching arm/DB to ceiling, continue alternating sides) (one 10# DB)
- L-raises (one arm does a straight arm front raise while the other arm is doing a straight arm side raise at the same time, alternate arms) (7# DBs)
- Bent over row (alternate arms) (25# DBs)
- Tricep push ups
- Weighted jacks (jumping jacks with overhead presses) (5# DBs)
- Curl & press (bicep curl, at top of curl when palms are at shoulders, do an overhead press keeping palms facing you, when you lower the DBs complete the curl) (15# DBs)
- Shadow box (alternating weighted front punches) (5# DBs)
- Down dog ninja (start in plank, push hips back to down dog, return to plank, jump feet into hands, raise up into a deep squat raising hands off floor, place hands back on mat and jump feet back out to plank)