Shock Circuit is a great little Cathe Live cardio + strength workout. I actually like it a lot but it will take doing it a few times to get my weights right. First, let me share that I did it on a Saturday (today)–so that is a longer workout day for me. I workout an hour in the morning Monday-Friday but Saturdays is my opportunity to do longer workouts. So I usually workout for 90 minutes on Saturday mornings. Obviously, at 39 minutes, this isn’t a long workout. So the plan was, do the workout and, judging by how I feel when I finish it, decide what I follow this workout with. If it wasted me, I would finish it off with yoga. If I felt my muscles had been worked well but I wasn’t wasted, I would finish it with cardio. If I felt like my muscles hadn’t been worked enough–more strength work. So what was the verdict?
Though this workout did a good job of hitting every muscle group and giving me good cardio, I definitely felt like I needed more of everything–more cardio and more strength. I used heavier weights than Cathe on a lot of the exercises and still had some “up” arrows. And tho the cardio bursts are fairly intense, they didn’t wear me out, so not HIIT level, in my opinion. I just felt like I needed more. So I finished this workout with another Cathe Live workout: ICE Total Body Compound. I was done after that! I’m not sure either workout, on their own, give me the workout I am looking for (and I feel I need) but the two of them combined? An excellent 82 minute workout that hit every muscle well and gave me great cardio.
Even if I lift heavier weights, I don’t think this workout on its own will do the trick for me, so I will always have to combine it with something (or do it as a doubles workout). But it always depends on what you are looking for. I really enjoyed it and will do it again combined with other workouts. But if you are looking for a quick more intermediate level workout that hits every muscle in your body and gives you cardio? This workout has you covered. I just need more.
Shock Circuit is 39 minutes long; 4:30 minute warm up and 3:30 minute stretch. Equipment needed: various dumbbells and a fitness mat. It aired live on 10/20/16 and here is the video clip. Below I list the weights Cathe uses, the weights I used and if I will increase my weights in the future.
- Plyo jacks
- Reverse lunge tapping DB to floor, stand and one arm overhead press (Cathe uses one 10# DB, I used on 12# DB)
- 20 bent over rear flys (10# DBs)
- Shuffle, shuffle, drop
- Alternating reverse lunges w/ bicep curls (Cathe uses 10# DBs, I used 12# DBs)
- Alternating side lunges putting DBs on ground and picking them up (Cathe used 10# DBs, I used 12# DBs)
- Lateral plié walks, 4 to each side (Cathe doesn’t do this exercise so you choose your DBs; I used 12# DBs)
- 12 push ups
- Alternating plyo jump lunges
- Walking lunges–3 walks + one plié–pulse 4x w/ each lunge and plié (Cathe uses 10# DBs, I used 12# DBs)
- Deadlift to bent over rear fly, 10 reps (12# DBs)
- 3 rope climbs + one attack (a lunge to the side w/ an elbow strike)
- Warrior 2 lunges
- Tricep kick backs in plank, 12 reps (one 10# DB; increase to 12# DB)
- Lateral hop + hop in place (one 8# DB)
- Squat kick, squat reverse lunge
- One double bicep curl + one single bicep curl each arm; 3 reps in this pattern then do 3 more reps of this pattern but wide curls (12# DBs; increase to 15# DBs)
- Repeat #18 but as a hammer curl (12# DBs; increase to 15# DB)
- 2 ground and pounds, turn to squat then jump and “attack” (lunge w/ elbow strike)
- Single leg deadlift w/ overhead press (Cathe used 10# DBs; I used 15# DBs)
- In side elbow plank, raise and lower one DB from floor to ceiling (one 10# DB)
- Spiderman Climbers (wide mountain climbers)
- Step out squats (get into squat and move one foot out to side 3x, farther each time, while staying in squat; alternate sides) (Cathe used one 15# DB, I used one 20# DB)
- Chest flys while pressing legs in and out, keeping legs off floor (Cathe used 10# DBs, I used 20# DBs)
- Football runs straddling your mat
- One deadlift + one bent over row (Cathe used 15# DBs, I used 20# DBs
- Pullovers while pressing legs in and out, keeping legs off floor (Cathe used 10# DBs, I used 12# DBs)