Workout #5: Metabolic Cardio and Yogic Intervals is rebounder workout led by trainer Greg Sims and it is part of the URX-MT fitness program. This was a deceptive workout. The first 4 minutes of this workout is push ups. FOUR MINUTES. That is the harbinger that this will not be an easy workout. But then after the push ups, the pace slows down and it seems pretty easy for a bit. But then the workout creeps up on you and before I knew it, I was working hard. This is an extremely high rep workout. So even tho you are using those very light sandbag weights, you do get some burn out anyway. I didn’t love this workout but I did like it. A fun bonus to this workout–about 5 minutes into the workout, Gay Gasper shows up with a rebounder and joins the workout. Her and Greg banter back and forth throughout the workout. He points out that she waited until after the push ups to show up! This is the first Greg Sims workout I’ve done. I like him! He was a very personable trainer. It was definitely a solid workout and those “yogic intervals” were not easy nor much of a recovery. I would say my lower body was hit the hardest. He works it throughout but those chair pose jumps at the end were killer. There is not a stretch at the end of this workout and I needed one, so I did one of Cathe‘s extended stretches afterward and it felt very good on my lower body.
Here is a little background on this series. URX-MT stands for Urban Rebounding Extreme Metabolic Training. I bought the entire series as a program. The program is made up of 13 workouts but you can buy each workout individually on the Urban Rebounder site, so that is how I will be reviewing them. The program apparently originally came with more than just the rebounder and the workouts. It also came with sandbag hand weights that you can no longer purchase. I think all of the workouts in the program use the sandbags. They range from 1-3 pounds. I did not purchase an Urban Rebounder. My rebounder is a different brand. I also did not buy the DVD program from the Urban Rebounder website. I found it much cheaper on Ebay.
Metabolic Cardio and Yogic Intervals is 51:30 minutes; no warm up or stretch. Equipment: rebounder and sandbag weights.
- Push ups with hands on rebounder and knees on floor; continue doing push ups but on your toes now; drop to knees again and do plyo push ups; add a double arm punch while pushing up off rebounder; pivot to side lifting one leg off floor, placing one hand on floor and keeping other hand on rebounder and do an uneven push up, alternate sides; regular push ups on knees; raise onto toes again while continuing to do push ups; plyo push ups on knees and when pushing up off rebounder, reach arms overhead
- Hop on top of rebounder
- Stop hopping, turn to side but face front and do front jabs; changes to cross punch with back arm; changes to jab-cross; continue jab-cross but faster; changes to jab-cross-jab-knee raise; add a jump when raising knee
- Wide plie squats on floor behind rebounder; hold squat isometrically, grip edge of rebounder in front of you in underhand grip with elbows close to sides and lift it (doing a bicep curl), lower rebounder and raise out of squat; hold squat isometrically, holding the edge of the rebounder and lift and lower rebounder
- Repeat #3 facing the opposite direction and leading with other arm
- Wide plie squats on floor behind rebounder; hold squat isometrically, grip edge of rebounder in front of you with elbows out to sides and lift it (doing an upright row), lower rebounder and raise out of squat; hold squat isometrically, holding the edge of the rebounder and lift and lower rebounder
- (grab sandbag weights) Wide leg hops on rebounder; jack legs in and out while punching sandbags/hands down narrow then wide; keep jacking feet but raise arms overhead and hold sandbags together overhead
- Squats on top of rebounder; add one knee lift after each squat, alternate sides; knee lift changes to front kick; when squatting reach hands/sandbags down and between legs and tap rebounder
- Tuck jumps
- Stand on rebounder, arms raised to sides at shoulder level, sandbags by shoulders, extend one arm straight out to side the back in to shoulder, alternate arms: add a hop; do both arms at the same time (bring sandbags to shoulders then extend arms out to sides in a T); return to alternating arms but this time hold arms on an angle so one is lifting high on a diagonal and the other arm is extending low on a diagonal; changes to both arms; return to alternating arms but this time swap arm positions; changes to both arms; changes to X arms–alternating which arm is high and which is low with each rep
- Right angle yoga pose with front/bent leg on rebounder (hold for a long time)
- Stand on rebounder and do single knee pulls (all on same leg), reaching arms overhead and pulling them down to knee; Greg goes around to his background exercisers and hands them all their sandbag weights to pull down to their knee; changes to pulling sandbags down across knee in a chop
- Repeat #12 on other side of body but you are holding the sandbags from the very beginning
- Hinge forward at waist (like a deadlift) still holding sandbags then jump pushing sandbags overhead (deadlift into jump); jump changes to tuck jump, still reaching arms/sandbags overhead
- Hinge forward (on rebounder) and do alternating back rows; start rowing faster; still hinged forward, lower into a squat while continuing to do fast alternating back rows
- (drop sandbags) Do warrior 1 yoga pose with front/bent leg’s foot on rebounder; keep foot on rebounder and do stationary lunges in and out of Warrior 1, reaching hands toward rebounder when lunging
- Hop on rebounder with directional changes; continue the directional change jumps but reach arms overhead with palms together and hold while jumping; when jumping land in squat (you are basically landing in chair pose)
- Warrior 2 pose with front/bent leg’s foot on rebounder; flow side to side, as if from right angle to reverse warrior; wrap one arm overhead (elbow reaching toward ceiling) other arm is wrapped around behind back, crunch top elbow toward knee on rebounder