25 Min No Repeats HIIT // Workout with Dumbbells is a short but intense cardio + strength workout from Heather Robertson. Though you are getting some strength work in this workout, it is not total body and some of is more metabolic. So I personally would not use this as my strength workout. I used it today as more of a metabolic cardio conditioning workout and it worked very well for that. I love Heather’s no repeat workouts, especially when I use them more for metabolic purposes. This was fun and varied. There is no warm up but you get a very nice long stretch at the end.
This workout is done interval style. Each exercise is done for 40 seconds followed by 20 seconds of recovery. There is a timer in the lower right hand corner of the screen counting down your intervals and recoveries. During the recovery Heather previews the next exercise. This is not a low impact workout–lots of jumping.
25 Min No Repeats HIIT // Workout with Dumbbells is 30:47 minutes; no warm up and 5 minute stretch. Equipment: dumbbells and a fitness mat. Heather doesn’t reveal the weight of her dumbbells like she usually does but it looks like she is using her 5 and 10 pound dumbbells. The weights listed below are what I used.
- Inchworm push and hop (start standing, hinge forward at waist, walk hands to plank, do one push up, walk hands back to feet, stand and jump)
- Front swing (kettlebell swing but with a DB in each hand) (10# DBs)
- T push ups (do one pushup then rotate into side plank, reaching one arm overhead, alternate sides with a push up between each side)
- Around the world (hold DBs with palms facing forward in front of thighs, arc DBs out to the sides and overhead then back down to start, drawing a circle with the DBs) (5# DBs)
- Straight up jack (jumping jack with arms straight and hands stacked, hands lower in front of you then raise overhead)
- Alternating reverse lunges (15# DBs)
- Sumo squat (holding a DB in each hand together between legs) (20# DBs)
- Curtsy & squat (hold one DB goblet style, squat + curtsy lunge, alternate sides with a squat between each side) (one 20# DB)
- Single leg deadlift, alternate legs (15# DBs)
- Jump squat
- Bicycle crunch
- Plank & tap (hold straight arm plank and alternate tapping hand to opposite shoulder)
- Crab dance (in crab, raise one leg and tap foot with opposite hand, alternate sides)
- Reverse tuck & kick out (lay on back, hands beneath small of back, push legs out straight a few inches off the floor, bring knees into chest then do a reverse crunch, pushing feet to ceiling overhead)
- Mountain climbers
- Push press (squat into overhead press) (15# DBs)
- Side lunge & press (stand with legs wide holding one DB in both hands, do alternating stationary side lunges, between each side press DB out straight in front of you at chest level) (one 10# DB)
- Stand up & press (start in high kneeling, holding one DB in both hands, stand up and press DB overhead then return to high kneeling while holding DB at chest level) (one 10# DB)
- Cross & press (stand with legs wide, a DB in each hand, hinge forward, reaching one DB toward opposite foot, when you stand, do an overhead press, alternate sides) (15# DBs)
- Squat & curl (stand with legs a bit wider than hip width, holding a DB in each hand, squat and while in squat do a narrow double arm hammer curl between thighs then stand) (15# DBs)
- Jumping jacks
- High knee run
- Pop squat (squat jack legs, tapping fingertips of one hand to floor while in squat, alternate hands)
- Squat toe taps (hold squat isometrically while alternating tapping one foot out to side)
- Side leap & hop (stand at one end of your mat, side leap to other side + one hop, alternate sides)
For more info on Heather Robertson’s workouts and other (free) streaming workouts I’ve sampled and reviewed, check out my Streaming page.