Low Impact HIIT // Total Body Workout is cardio + strength workout from Heather Robertson. Low impact does not mean low intensity in this workout! I was working hard. This is not a total body strength workout, however. There is some nice strength work but no work for your back muscles. What does get hit pretty hard is your shoulders. By the end my shoulders were so fatigued that the arm circles at the beginning of the cool down actually made them protest! They were done and needed a rest! The cardio moves are all low impact but even the strength exercises are very metabolic, so you are burning calories with every exercise.
The exercises are all done interval style: 45 seconds of work followed by 15 seconds of recovery. There is a timer in the lower right hand corner of the screen counting down your intervals and recoveries. During the recoveries Heather previews your next exercise.
Low Impact HIIT // Total Body Workout is 30:33 minutes; 2:30 minute warm up and 2:30 minute stretch. Equipment: dumbbells and fitness mat. Heather is using 5 and 10 pound dumbbells. The weights listed below are what I used.
- Lunge & front raise (alternating reverse lunges, do double arm front raises while in lunge) (8# DBs)
- Pop squat (alternating side step squat, tap fingers of one hand to mat when in squat)
- Inchworm climbers (stand at end of mat, hinge forward and walk hands out to plank, do 4 mountain climbers (twice each leg), walk hands back to feet, stand raising arms overhead)
- Push press deadlift (do one deadlift then bring DBs to shoulders, do one squat and at top of squat do one overhead press) (18# DBs)
- Side lunge & raise (alternating stationary side lunges, reach DBs down toward foot while in lunge, do one double arm lateral raise between each lunge) (9# DBs)
- Star steps (step out jacks–step out to one side while doing jack arms and when you step back in, lower into narrow squat reaching hands to ankles, alternate sides)
- Push back push up (one push up then push glutes back to heels keeping knees elevated off mat)
- Cross & press (hold one DB in one hand, do a side lunge, reach DB to opposite foot while in lunge, when you stand do a single arm overhead press) (one 15# DB)
- Repeat #8 on other side of body
- Hip twister (squat, and when you stand, twist hips to one side with a pivot hop, alternate sides, hands are held together in front of chest with elbows raised to shoulder level)
- Hi-lo swing (hold one DB in both hands, squat while swinging DB between legs to forehead level (arms are straight), stand and swing DB overhead) (one 20# DB)
- Shuffle & press (hold one DB in both hands, lateral shuffle in partial squat the length of the mat, stand and do an overhead press) (one 12# DB)
- 30 second rest
- Repeat #1-12
For more info on Heather Robertson’s workouts and other (free) streaming workouts I’ve sampled and reviewed, check out my Streaming page.
2 thoughts on “Low Impact HIIT // Total Body Workout”
Happy hump day! Just curious … I take it that you did the glow up routine first?
Today I did Fierce Day 13 abs/plank as my main workout. It was pretty tough. Heather had a couple exercises that I had never done with weights so that was cool. Not the most terribly exciting workout but that was ok. I finished it off with her recent HiiT leg strength/power which I think you did last week? That was an EXCELLENT LB workout! I lifted heavy on that one as if it was a Caroline routine so I got really good burnout. 🔥
No, since The Glow Up workout was a bodyweight/cardio workout with a longer stretch, I did the the Low Impact HIIT workout that uses weights first.