Kickboxing & Compound Weights is another great Cathe Live kickboxing workout. Intense and fun. It is set up in Cathe’s standard cardio kickboxing/boxing structure–combos alternated with cardio blasts. Overall it wasn’t too complicated but she did have one rather complex punching combo that was even giving her problems! Cathe kept messing up her own combo. That’s ok tho. I’m pretty sure that she worked both sides of the body pretty evenly during the kickboxing. Plus, it was a lot of fun! At the very end of the kickboxing portion there was a very short 3 minute heavy bag portion. As long as you are wearing weighted gloves (or boxing gloves), no punching bag is actually needed. Once the kickboxing is complete, the gloves come off for some metabolic weight training. Cathe uses 10 pound dumbbells for all of it, but that was too light for me. In the future, I’ll probably use 12 pound dumbbells for everything except the rear delt flys. I’ll stick w/ 10 pounds for the rear delt flys. She does those fast.
Kickboxing & Compound Weights aired live 12/04/14. It is 49:30 minutes; 6 minute warm up and 2:30 minute stretch. Kickboxing is 33:30 minutes (including warm up and 3:30 minutes of heavy bag work) and compound weight training is 13 minutes. Here is the video clip. Equipment needed: boxing gloves or weighted gloves (I used 2 pound weighted gloves), 10 pound dumbbells and a mat.
- Jump out into sumo squat, lowering DBs between legs, jump feet back in while doing a bicep curl then pushing DBs overhead; later you will add two overhead tricep extensions;
- (one DB) Do a kettlebell swing w/ the DB then at the top of the swing, transfer DB to one hand and do a lat pull down, then swing DB w/ both hands, transfer DB to other hand and do a lat pull down; alternate sides;
- Sumo Squats w/ upright rows (do 3 upright rows and on the 4th bring one DB all the way overhead; alternate sides);
- Alternating reverse lunges w/ bicep curls and overhead press;
- Rear delt flys; 3 sets of 10 reps;
- Single leg deadlift w/ alternating front raise;
- W bicep curls;
- Tricep push ups on knees w/ alternating leg lift;
- 5 ankle grabber sit ups + 5 push ups; 4 sets
One thought on “Cathe Live: Kickboxing & Compound Weights”