Metabolic Training: Circuit is another tough workout from Linda @ Barlates that works your lower body hard. She works your biceps, back and triceps, too, and gives you cardio bursts. There are no complicated or difficult to perform moves, but it is an intense and metabolic workout. I was working hard during this workout and burned nearly 400 calories. The structure of this workout is circuits. You start with a high rep compound exercise that works both the upper and lower body using lighter weights. Next you do a cardio burst that works the same lower body muscle group you just worked. Then you do more strength training for both the upper and lower body muscle groups using a heavier weight. It really is a total body workout. The only muscle group that isn’t really worked is your chest. Even your shoulders are worked since they are assisting the back and triceps when performing those exercises.
This workout is available for free on YouTube but I purchased the DVD which contains 3 other workouts in her Metabolic Training Series. You can also purchase the download from Linda via her website. Having now done 3 of the workouts in this series (the 4th is scheduled for Wednesday), I can say that this is an excellent series. Even though individually then are not total body strength workouts, between the 3 I’ve done so far, every muscle group is worked. Plus cardio! Another excellent and effective series from Linda! The other 3 workouts in the series are: Functional, Box Sculpt and Cardio Sculpt.
Metabolic Training: Circuit is 55:30 minutes; 1:45 minute intro, 7 minute warm up and 5 minute stretch. Equipment: dumbbells (Linda is using a set of 3.5kg dumbbells, which is 8 pounds and one 5kg dumbbell, which is 10 pounds) and a chair, or something else sturdy to step up on like a high step. I used 8, 10 and 15 pound dumbbells, a chair with a back and a high step at 14 inches. I used the same weight as Linda did unless otherwise noted below. I also noted the instances where I substituted my high step for the chair.
- Alternating curtsy lunges (8# DBs)
- Stationary curtsy lunges with hammer curls (continue alternating but do 4 reps each side and do a wide plié squat when you change sides) (8# DBs)
- Cross jacks (she calls them plié hops because your toes are turned out)
- Step up onto chair seat with both feet then step off; changes to single leg step ups (keep one foot on chair and raise up, tapping other foot on chair then step foot back down) (Linda is using one 10# DB, I used one 15# DB) (I also used my high step @ 14 inches rather than a chair for this exercise)
- (set DB aside) Keeping on foot on chair seat, raise up, placing hands on chair back and raise back leg straight behind you then lower leg back to ground (keeping one foot on chair seat the entire time); remain raised on chair, hands on chair back and leg extended behind you, raise and lower leg while also doing a mini squat with the stationary leg (I used the chair as well for these moves)
- Alternating rear lunges; changes to holding in static lunge while doing 2 bicep curls (continue alternating lunges); static lunge changes to 2 stationary lunges (continue the bicep curls) (Linda is using her 8# DBs)
- Alternating lunge jumps; changes to scissor runs
- Repeat #4 & 5 on other leg
- Straight leg deadlifts; add one wide bent over row; changes to 1 deadlift + 3 wide bent over rows (Linda is using 8# DBs, I used 10# DBs)
- Burpee w/ renegade rows (Linda is using 8# DBs, I used 10# DBs)
- Single leg deadlift; add lifting non working leg straight behind you while deadlifting; add 3 single arm rows while hinged forward in deadlift (Linda is using one 10# DB and placing her other hand on the chair seat, I used one 15# DB)
- In straight arm plank, do a plank row then curl DB in front of you, do this 3x then switch hands, continue alternating sides doing 3 reps each side (Linda is using one 8# DB, I used one 10# DB)
- Mountain climbers (when you bring feet in under you, they are turned out and cross to other side of body)
- Repeat #11 on other side of body
- Wide plié squats with DBs placed on top of thighs near hips; add alternating tricep kickbacks but you are extending DBs out to side of body rather than behind you; changes to double arm overhead tricep extensions (French press) (8# DBs)
- In wide plié squat, do small hops; every 8 hops you will jump higher and click heels together; Linda keeps decreasing the amount of hops you do between heel clicks; wide plié squat pulses (no hopping); add alternating heel raises
- Wide plié squats with one foot elevated on chair seat; changes 3 squat pulses + 2 overhead tricep extensions (Linda is using one 10# DB, I used one 15# DB) (I also used my high step @ 14 inches rather than the chair)
- Keep one foot on chair seat and do dynamic stretches, lunging side to side
- Repeat #17 & 18 on other leg