Target 15: Squats & Raises is an excellent little mini workout from Linda @ Barlates. The title means you are doing 15 exercises to “target” a specific area. You are also doing 15 sixty second intervals with no rest/recovery periods, so the workout is 15 minutes. I really enjoyed this workout. There are no complicated moves but it did work my lower body very well and in a short amount of time. Most especially my hips, which were starting to protest by the end of the workout! In addition, it is fast paced with no rests, so you are getting some cardio in the mix, too. This is an excellent little workout to use as an add on/finisher workout or if you are just short on time. Linda did a whole Target 15 series so you could even stack several of them to get a longer workout.
This workout is available for free on YouTube or you can purchase her Target 15 Series on DVD which contains 9 other 15 minute workouts. You can also purchase the download from Linda via her website. Unless you are reading this review the day I post it, this isn’t really relevant but Linda is having a Black Friday sale–buy 1 workout or DVD and get 2 free!!! The sale ends TODAY. So I have ordered 3 of her DVDs: Target 10, Target 15 and Target 20. So there will be a lot more of these Target reviews posting eventually!
Target 15: Squats & Raises is 16:30 minutes; 1 minute intro. No warm up or cool down. Equipment: light dumbbells (Linda is using 2 pound weights) and a chair. I used a wider variety of weights: 10, 5 and 2 pounds. The weights I used are listed below.
- Squat w/ bicep curl + straight leg deadlift (10# DBs)
- Wide plie squat + front curtsy lunge (bicep curls with each move) (5# DBs)
- Repeat #2 on the other side of body
- Alternating straight side leg raises w/ tricep kickbacks (but kick arms out to side not behind you) (5# DBs)
- Narrow squat + single leg squat with non-working toe in front of you, alternate legs (also doing bicep curls with each squat) (5# DBs)
- (set one DB aside and place hand on chair back) Raise and lower one straight leg 3x (other arm holding DB extended straight in front of you, raise it and lower it to leg when leg raises) and 4th time hold leg at top and pulse 3x (one 2# DB)
- Still holding onto chair back, raise outside leg out straight to side 3x and the 4th time hold at top and pulse 3x (same side arm is extended overhead w/ elbow bent, bring elbow down to outer thigh when you raise leg) (one 2# DB)
- Raise and lower straight leg behind you 3x and 4th time hold leg at the top and pulse 3x (you are still holding chair back with one hand, other hand is hold DB isometrically in front of you) (one 2# DB)
- Start with legs/feet together, step out to side in a wide squat then step foot forward into wide front diagonal squat, step foot back into wide back diagonal squat then bring feet together into narrow squat (you will remain in squat the entire time with one leg moving); reaching one DB toward ground each time you squat, alternate arms (5# DBs)
- Side lunge, reaching DBs toward ground while lunging then raise partially while lifting foot off ground (you never come completely out of lunge) (5# DBs)
- Repeat #6-10 on other side of body