Strength & Cardio // Supersets Workout is an awesome cardio + strength workout from Heather Robertson. She packs a lot into 37 minutes. Because every strength exercise is a compound total body exercise, the strength work is also very metabolic. So this is definitely a calorie burning muscle building workout. According to my FitBit I burned 261 calories and spent a total of 12 minutes in my peak heart rate zone. An excellent workout!
As the title indicates, this is a superset workout. Heather combines one strength exercise with one cardio exercise. You will do each superset 3 times before moving on to the next superset. The exercises are done interval style: each exercise is done for 40 seconds of work followed by 10 seconds of rest. There is a timer in the lower right hand corner of the screen counting down your intervals and recoveries. Heather previews the next exercise during the recovery. This is not a low impact workout.
Strength & Cardio // Supersets Workout is 36:54 minutes; 3 minute warm up and 2:40 minute stretch. Equipment: dumbbells and a fitness mat. Heather is using 10 and 15 pound dumbbells. The weights listed below are what I used.
- Push press (squat w/ DBs at shoulders and when you stand, do one overhead press) (15# DBs)
- Squat jump & jack (one jumping jack + one squat jump)
- Repeat #1 & 2 two more times
- Bridge & chest press (lay on mat, knees bent and feet on floor near glutes, raise hips and hold, raise arms/DBs into chest press then lower hips and DBs at the same time) (20# DBs)
- High knee run
- Repeat #4 & 5 two more times
- Lunge & curl (alternate reverse lunges with a hammer curl at bottom of lunge) (15# DBs)
- Shuffle jacks (do one jumping jack then lower unto squat and shuffle 2 times to side, do one jumping jack then squat/shuffle back to start)
- Repeat #7 & 8 two more times
- 30 second rest
- Sumo & row (stand with legs wide and toes slightly turned out, a DB in each hand, alternate one sumo squat with one bent over row, when doing the row, hinge forward as if doing a wide leg deadlift) (25# DBs)
- Pop squat (squat jacks, tapping on hand to floor when in squat)
- Repeat #11 & 12 two more times
- T push up (one push up + one side plank, reaching top arm to ceiling, alternate sides with side plank)
- One arm swing (single arm kettlebell swings holding one DB in each hand, swing both DBs between legs but only swing one DB upward, alternate arms) (12# DBs)
- Repeat #14 & 15 two more times