Full Body Strength + Cardio Workout with Weights is an intense total body metabolic strength workout from Naomi Joy. This is an excellent workout that will really ramp up your heart rate while also working your entire body. It is made up primarily of compound moves; exercises that work the upper body and the lower body at the same time. There is also a lot of core work–in the warm up, in the course of the workout and at the very end. Plus, in each circuit she includes an even more metabolic/cardio move to spike your heart rate even more, so this is also a cardio + strength workout. Due to the structure of the workout and the type of exercises, Naomi said she used lighter than normal dumbbells. I did as well. I still got an excellent workout. For any exercise with impact, Naomi also gives you a low impact variation. Though the circuits are all done interval style, Naomi leads you through this workout. She is doing it right along side you and giving form pointers for each exercise.
The warm up is actually longer than 3:15 minutes but at the 3:15 minute point Naomi moves into glute activation exercises followed by core exercises followed by cardio exercises so I included it in the breakdown. After the long warm up, you move into the circuits. The circuit exercises are done interval style. Each exercises is done for 45 seconds of work followed by 15 seconds of rest. There is a timer in the lower left hand corner of the screen counting down your intervals and recoveries. The last circuit is core work and it is not done to intervals. There is a timer in the lower right hand corner of the screen counting down total workout time. For any exercise that has impact, a video appears in the upper right hand corner of the screen in which Naomi shows a low impact variation.
Full Body Strength + Cardio Workout with Weights is 51:34 minutes; 40 second intro, 3:15 minute warm up and 5 minute stretch. Equipment: dumbbells, a yoga block and fitness mat. Naomi is using 8 and 10 pound dumbbells. The weights listed below are what I used.
- Lay on mat with knees bent and feet close to glutes, yoga block is squeezed between thighs, lift and lower hips/glutes in bridge; keep hips lifted at top of bridge and pulse hips upward
- Repeat #1
- Still laying on back, extend legs straight to ceiling, hold yoga block in both hands while also reaching it toward ceiling, lower one leg until it is a few inches off the floor while also lowering yoga block overhead until it is a few inches off floor then raise both back to start, alternate legs; changes to lowering both legs together
- Same position as #3, extend straight legs at 45 degrees, raise shoulders with arms/yoga block extended at 45 degrees and hold this position isometrically
- High knee run (low impact alternative: high knee raises, hold one DB in both hands, reach arms overhead and pull DB down to knee when it raises)
- Jumping jacks (alternative: low impact jacks)
- Repeat #5, but move laterally the length of the mat and back
- Repeat #6
- Alternating lateral/side lunges, between each lunge do a lateral/side raise (8# DBs)
- Alternating curtsy lunge, pulse 2x while in lunge, between each lunge do one hammer curl into an overhead press (15# DBs)
- Hold DBs at shoulders, squat and when you stand do one front kick, alternate legs when kicking (15# DBs)
- Repeat #1-3
- Push ups
- Bent over rear delt flys (8# DBs)
- Hold one DB in both hands, jack the legs while doing an overhead press (low impact variation: alternate tapping legs out to side while doing overhead press with arms/DB) (one 8# DB)
- Repeat #1-3
- Stand with legs wide, lower into a squat with arms between thighs, do 2 hammer curls, stand and do one overhead press (15# DBs)
- Double arm tricep kickbacks (13# DBs)
- Lateral skaters, hold one DB in both hands, while in cross back lunge bring DB to hip and when changing sides, push DB overhead (variation–same move but no DB) (one 8# DB)
- Repeat #1-3
- Hold 2 DBs together goblet style, do alternating reverse lunges, while in lunge twist torso/DBs toward front leg (one 20# DB)
- In straight arm plank, bring one knee to same side elbow on outside of body then bring same knee under body to opposite elbow, return knee to outside of body to same side elbow then return leg to start, alternate legs
- Holding one DB in each hand pressed together, legs are wide, squat while tapping ends of DBs to mat, when you straighten, raise DBs overhead while also raising onto toes (8# DBs)
- Repeat #1-3
- Hold a DB in each hand, raise both straight arms/DBs in front of you to shoulder level and hold, lower one DB to front of thigh then raise back to shoulder level, repeat on other arm then lower both arms back to start (5# DBs)
- Hold a DB in each hand, raise arms to shoulder level, elbows bent at 90 degrees, palms facing each other, pulse DBs upward 3x then push them overhead (15# DBs)
- Hold one DB in both hands in front of chest, do alternating plyometric jump lunges (low impact variation–while in partial squat, alternate tapping legs behind you) (one 15# DB)
- Repeat #1-3
Core: (no intervals)
- Lay on back on mat, hands behind head, legs raised off floor with knees bent at 90 degrees, twist one elbow toward opposite knee while extending other leg straight
- In same position as #1, keep elbow twisted toward opposite knee, hold upper body in this position isometrically, extend legs straight and scissor legs
- Repeat #1 & 2 on other side of the body
- Lay on back with legs extended straight to ceiling, lower straight legs until they are a few inches off the floor then open legs wide as you circle legs back to start
- Still on back with shoulders raised, legs extended to ceiling, criss-cross legs while lowering them then raising them; keep legs at approximately 45 degrees and continue criss-crossing
For more info on Naomi Joy Fitness and other (free) streaming workouts I’ve sampled and reviewed, check out my Streaming page.
4 thoughts on “Naomi Joy Fitness: Full Body Strength + Cardio Workout With Weights/ Workout From Home”
Ohhh … this looks like a good one!
I neglected to set my schedule yesterday for the week so I hurriedly picked an UB workout from Heather (Day 42 UB supersets) and tacked on the same 6-min ab workout I did Saturday. Heather’s workout was effective and fun. Quite metabolic. She didn’t do much for back outside of compound stuff but overall I give it a thumbs up.
We picked up our daughter Sunday morning at the Amtrak station so she will be home for the week on spring break. ☺️😁
Enjoy having your daughter back at home! I sure miss my oldest! I get to see her again in May.
For how long are you going this time? Also, I know you bought Caroline’s booty bands when you were there last time. What is the strength relative to Cathe’s blue (hardest) band? I’m trying to figure out how rigid her bands are … although I noticed that in Endgame she is using a black band regularly now …
Yeah, we miss our daughter a lot. We are in MI but she goes to architect school in NY and so she doesn’t come home except for Christmas and now spring break. This summer she will be on campus too for a required summer session.
This one will be longer–almost the entire month of May. I am very excited. My grandson is so big! He’s crawling and pulling himself up to standing! He actually walked while pushing one of his rolling toys! And I am missing it all! I am glad I get immediate videos (unlike my parents who had to wait for us to send VHS tapes with video of their grandkids) but I want to be there with him!
The black Teknifit booty band is the strongest booty band I have. It is stronger than Cathe’s strongest.