Full Body HIIT Workout with Weights is an intense metabolic strength workout from Heather Robertson. As with most of Heather’s workouts–this one worked me hard! Due to the compound nature of some of the exercises I had to use lighter weights. For instance, the deadlift row–I can lift considerably heavier for a deadlift than I can for an upright row. Plus, due to chronic shoulder problems I have to be conservative on shoulder exercises anyway. Nevertheless, it still worked me very well! It is also not a full body workout as the title promises. The chest and the triceps get no work but everything else is hit nicely. This didn’t bother me at all. I have been doing Heather’s strength workouts all week and she has hit my chest and triceps hard in most of her other workouts I’ve done, so they have been sufficiently worked already this week. But if that’s not the case for you, keep that in mind when planning your workouts.
This workout does not include a warm up or stretch. I did my usual with Heather’s workouts and stacked several to get my hour of work. I started with her 5 Minute Warm Up, did this workout, followed her At Home Butt & Thigh Workout and ended with her Quick Daily Stretch.
This workout is made up of a circuit of 7 exercises. The circuit is repeated 4 times. Each exercise is done for 40 seconds followed by 20 seconds of rest. There is a timer in the lower right hand corner of the screen counting down your intervals. During the recovery a rectangle appears in the lower left hand corner previewing the next exercise.
Full Body HIIT Workout with Weights is 29:30 minutes; 1 minute intro, no warm up or stretch. Equipment: dumbbells. Heather was using a set of 10 pound dumbbells for everything. The weights listed below are what I used.
- Squat Combo (start standing holding DBs in front of chest, elbows bent and palms facing your chest, squat, hold squat isometrically and do a bicep curl, stand and do an overhead press keeping palms facing you) (12# DBs)
- Front Swing (holding one DB in both hands, do a kettlebell swing, raising DB overhead at top of swing) (one 15# DB)
- Plank Row (renegade rows) (20# DBs)
- Deadlift Row (deadlift into upright row) (12# DBs)
- Power Jacks (holding one DB in both hands, do a jumping jack, pressing DB overhead) (one 10# DB)
- Lunge Combo (alternating reverse lunges, alternate a bent arm side raise with a hammer curl when in lunge) (8# DBs)
- Power Burpee (weighted burpee with overhead press at top) (12# DBs)
- Repeat #1-7 three more times