This is a workout from Caroline Girvan‘s CGX app. For more info on Caroline’s App, see the CGX App page.
This was a very enjoyable and thorough lower body strength workout. Caroline hits everything then gives you some plyometrics to really burn out your legs. I like the interval lengths followed by the long recovery. I feel like I probably could have used heavier dumbbells for most of the exercises because of interval/recovery lengths and I will when I return to this workout. Following the jumps with alternating bodyweight cossack squats is a nice touch, too. It felt like an active recovery. And the finisher–OMG, what a burner! Excellent workout!
The exercises in this workout are done interval style: 45 seconds of work followed by 30 seconds of rest. There is a timer in the upper right hand side of the screen counting down your intervals and recoveries. During the recovery Caroline previews the next exercise. There is also a little bar at the bottom of the screen that counts down the entire workout time as a percentage.
25 Minute Leg Circuit is 27:22 minutes (this time does not include the optional 8:58 minute warm up) with a 1:30 minute stretch. Equipment: dumbbells. Caroline is using 30kg/66 pound and 15kg/33 pound dumbbells. The weights listed below are what I used.
- Paused sumo squats (pause briefly at bottom of sumo squat) (one 62.5# DB)
- High rack squats (hold DBs at shoulders) (30# DBs)
- Rear step lunge (one side) (remain on same leg entire interval) (22.5# DBs)
- Repeat #3 on other leg
- Pause sumo deadlift squat (hinge torso forward deadlift style and pause at bottom of squat) (one 62.5# DB)
- RDL (Romanian deadlift) (42.5# DBs)
- High squat (x1 dumbbell) (hold one DB in both hands in front of chest) (one 35# DB)
- Squat jumps (no DBs)
- Alternating cossack squat (no DBs/alternating side lunges but the straight leg is rotated so heel is on floor and toe is raised to ceiling when you are in lunge)
- Repeat #1-9
Finisher: (no DBs; 2:15 minutes w/ no rest/recoveries)
- Squat jumps for 15 seconds
- Hold isometrically at bottom of squat for 15 seconds
- Squats for 15 seconds
- Repeat #1 & 2
- Repeat #3 for 60 seconds